Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I had to do bumblefoot surgery on Ariel again tonight
sad.png
the poor girl's foot was still swollen and she was limping. I see now how much I missed last time. I pulled so much puss and a GIANT kernel or of her foot this time. She has quite the hole in the bottom of her foot now and she's hurting
sad.png
I feel so bad but hopefully she'll be ok now. She's going to be camping out in the garage brooder for a few days to rest and I'll be checking and soaking her foot at least twice a day. Poor girl, she has to be miserable.
I'm not sure she really is in much pain. I think birds have few nerves in their feet to sense pain. I base that on how cold their feet can get, especially waterfowl. Also, I have a hen turkey that had most of her leg chewed off by a rat while she was sleeping. I can't see how she could sleep through that if there were nerves in her legs.

I've never done surgery on a bird's foot. Do you treat the wound with antiseptic ointment or pack it with anything?

I'm not sure she really is in much pain. I think birds have few nerves in their feet to sense pain. I base that on how cold their feet can get, especially waterfowl. Also, I have a hen turkey that had most of her leg chewed off by a rat while she was sleeping. I can't see how she could sleep through that if there were nerves in her legs.

I've never done surgery on a bird's foot. Do you treat the wound with antiseptic ointment or pack it with anything?

I soaked it in warm iodine/salt water solution before cutting it open, once during, and then after and since I didn't have any neosprin, I treated the wound with honey. As strange as that may sound, honey is antiseptic and will help to draw out any infection still in there.

I feel like she was in pain, especially when I was doing it. A couple times she struggled to yank her foot from me while I was cutting through it and several times she'd struggle and projectile poop on me while trying to get away. She's not a high strung girl and only tried when I was doing something that I feel would REALLY hurt. She's not really putting much of any weight on that foot now at all if she doesn't have too. I hope you're right and she's not in much pain but it seems like she is.

I soaked it in warm iodine/salt water solution before cutting it open, once during, and then after and since I didn't have any neosprin, I treated the wound with honey. As strange as that may sound, honey is antiseptic and will help to draw out any infection still in there.

I feel like she was in pain, especially when I was doing it. A couple times she struggled to yank her foot from me while I was cutting through it and several times she'd struggle and projectile poop on me while trying to get away. She's not a high strung girl and only tried when I was doing something that I feel would REALLY hurt. She's not really putting much of any weight on that foot now at all if she doesn't have too. I hope you're right and she's not in much pain but it seems like she is.

Even if it did hurt it was a necessary evil and you did what you needed to do for her best interest....DO NOT beat yourself up for doing what was best for her even though it was hard....be proud that you have become a strong enough chicken keeper to do what needs done!

and then help yourself to a large glass of your favored beverage!

Even if it did hurt it was a necessary evil and you did what you needed to do for her best interest....DO NOT beat yourself up for doing what was best for her even though it was hard....be proud that you have become a strong enough chicken keeper to do what needs done!

and then help yourself to a large glass of your favored beverage!  

Haha! I drank all my wine over the weekend so I had to settle for a cup of oolong tea ;)

Thanks for the encouragement :)

and then help yourself to a large glass of your favored beverage!  
. Agree completely. Well said Fisher.

Great job!
clap.gif
I'm glad that you can help her. You are a great chicken mom.
thumbsup.gif

Oh no! Which 1 was it? It wasn't the black & white 1 was it?
Yeah, it was Lottie Dottie. I don't have any chickens with feathers like hers, she was really neat. And she and Snowflake were buds. I had only let them out of their cage in the coop to integrate with the big chickens two days prior to the dog attack. If only I had procrastinated a little longer, they both would have been safe in the coop. Romeo did a good job alerting the big girls to get in the coop and was standing guard in the run when we got home and saw the dog in the yard and the damage done. But it doesn't seem like he has much drive to protect younger birds... all the birds we lost through the summer were always the younger ones, but we've seen Romeo take on a predator (and get half plucked!) to protect his mature girls.

Back
Top Bottom