Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Yeah, it was Lottie Dottie. I don't have any chickens with feathers like hers, she was really neat. And she and Snowflake were buds. I had only let them out of their cage in the coop to integrate with the big chickens two days prior to the dog attack. If only I had procrastinated a little longer, they both would have been safe in the coop. Romeo did a good job alerting the big girls to get in the coop and was standing guard in the run when we got home and saw the dog in the yard and the damage done. But it doesn't seem like he has much drive to protect younger birds... all the birds we lost through the summer were always the younger ones, but we've seen Romeo take on a predator (and get half plucked!) to protect his mature girls.
When did you get her? She looks like a silver pencil mix and I gave eggs to silkie really early this year. If she was from our eggs I can get you some hatching eggs for your next broody and you may end up with a similar pullet. Edit to add...the eggs hatched 5/20, so should help figure if they could have been our mixes

Last edited:
When did you get her? She looks like a silver pencil mix and I gave eggs to silkie really early this year. If she was from our eggs I can get you some hatching eggs for your next broody and you may end up with a similar pullet.

Edit to add...the eggs hatched 5/20, so should help figure if they could have been our mixes

I picked up the chicks from Silkie on 8/17 and they were a few weeks old. That's only 3 months later if the silver pencils hatched in May. I may take you up on that in the Spring though. Your silver pencils are really pretty!

The day after we brought them home in August.

I'm going to be a thread hog for a few minutes lol.

Ariel seems to be feeling a bit better this morning :) She was very happy to see her sister when i brought her in and immediately got up and moving around. I cleaned out her foot again and found a few small pieces of the kernal that I must've missed yesterday. She really didn't want me messing with her foot this morning but who can blame her? I made up for it with half a pumpkin for them to split. Horrible picture but you can see the hole in her foot. It's actualy about a half inch deep :/

These are two boys that i hatched out a couple months ago. The one on the left is my son's little boy Dexter. He chose to get rid of his nasty oegb and keep this guy. So far he's easy going. Let's just how that half silkie in him keeps him friendly. The one on the right is Mo. I find him to be beautiful and unique. I plan to breed him back to his mother Fria to see what kind of interesting babies I get from them. Fria lays a brown egg with purple spots and Mo's dad was pure, lavender ameraucana. Babies between then could lay some really neat eggs :)

This is Fria. Would anyone be interested in any chicks or hatching eggs from these 2 next spring? I think they'll be beautiful.

And an updated picture of Cookie and her babies. The penciling is really starting to show and their little feathers :)

Got a 2nd egg from the Reese CCL pullets yesterday!
This pic is the Reese egg, a regular (non-Reese) CCL egg, and a BBS Ameraucana egg. I don't think the camera did a great job, but they are very close in color "in real life" too.
The main reason the Am egg is larger is that the hen that laid it is over a year old. The CCL's are all less than a year.

Got a 2nd egg from the Reese CCL pullets yesterday!
This pic is the Reese egg, a regular (non-Reese) CCL egg, and a BBS Ameraucana egg. I don't think the camera did a great job, but they are very close in color "in real life" too.
The main reason the Am egg is larger is that the hen that laid it is over a year old. The CCL's are all less than a year.

Really nice colors!
thumbsup.gif
How about your black sex link? Is their egg color lighter or the same?

To all of you with many years of experiencing many breeds...what general breed would be of good size (5-6 lb hens) and lay a green or bluish egg? I want a few more green/blue layers but need a large fowl breed.
Actually, for my purpose a large fowl white egg layer would work also.

I'm going to be a thread hog for a few minutes lol.

Ariel seems to be feeling a bit better this morning
smile.png
She was very happy to see her sister when i brought her in and immediately got up and moving around. I cleaned out her foot again and found a few small pieces of the kernal that I must've missed yesterday. She really didn't want me messing with her foot this morning but who can blame her? I made up for it with half a pumpkin for them to split. Horrible picture but you can see the hole in her foot. It's actualy about a half inch deep
hmm.png

This is Fria. Would anyone be interested in any chicks or hatching eggs from these 2 next spring? I think they'll be beautiful.

Poor Ariel, her foot looks better than before.

What breed is Fria? Never see a chicken like heir. Is she molting or just don't have feather around heir face?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom