Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to all the new comers. Be aware that we are all good at helping for chicken math.

Clearfield Country here. New to the site and to raising chickens. Got 21 chicks to start us as we were told that some would probably die. :( They include silver wyandotte, double laced gold wyandotte, austrolorp, black sexlink, rhode island reds and a mystery breed.

from NE near Wilkes Barre

Welcome from Cambria county! You've just found the best bunch of enablers around lol

I kind feel Brownie was born that way. The first day I took them home, she pushed all other chicks off my hand and slept there all the time herself. She usually not fly to me until she sees other chicks on me, then she would be upset and wanted to perch on me. My Rhodebar Ruff-Ruff never bites, but other girls do. Penny the Welbar really likes to bite to get attention. When she doesn't want to be touched, she wouldn't bite and acted skittish. But if she feels that she wants to be pick up, she will bite really hard and even twist and will quietly wait for me to take her.
hmm.png
Other chicks except Ruff-Ruff all bite or peck when they want attention, but no one as hard as Penny. Ruff-Ruff just runs to me directly without ask.
big_smile.png

I planed to move them out to the coop last weekend, but it was so cold and the girls are all spoiled. Even I will run a extension cord for the heating pad, I feel it's still to cold for them. So I will wait another week.
If they were born that way, maybe we egg them on . . .

Red:
I don't think cardboard will serve you very well.....chicks can be a bit messy and will spill water and peck at everything (including the pads)...they might even eat some....I use newspaper and a dog crate.....my two cents....
Thank you Stake I had them in a 50 gallon tote but to me,they seemed cramped even at 2 weeks. I was offered a 4 foot square box I am,using right now, and they seem to love all the space I have 8 3 week Olds and everything I have short of building something seems to small. Problem with the pads is they come uncovered when the chicks are scratching around. Other than that the box works great. I thought about just putting a pad under the waterer.

Last edited:
Well:

The fox got another girl today, one of my adult CCL girls....she just wouldn't stay in the pen and I have not had the opportunity to finish the new pen.....seems like any girl that free ranges gets picked off...,

We have 3 red Rangers and 3 Asian blues...want Marans and Amerucanas (or any blue egg layers). I will be traveling next week so will want them in May or later if I can find them.

Well:

The fox got another girl today, one of my adult CCL girls....she just wouldn't stay in the pen and I have not had the opportunity to finish the new pen.....seems like any girl that free ranges gets picked off...,
That really stinks! Hope you will be able to fix the problem soon.

We have 3 red Rangers and 3 Asian blues...want Marans and Amerucanas (or any blue egg layers). I will be traveling next week so will want them in May or later if I can find them.
So you have meat birds now and will have some layers later? Some people here (Auroradream26,dheltzel, etc) have Marans and Ameraucanas. Depends on where you live, you may get chicks from one of them.

Back
Top Bottom