Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Has anyone dealt with Lancaster Fancy Fowl recently? We placed an order a month ago and heard they changed hands.

Got some chicks from them a few weeks ago. Had their phones shut off (assuming from not paying the bill) and couldn't get a hold of him after driving three hours to pick up chicks. He was nice enough once we woke him up by pounding on the walls, but the chicks also smelled funny, almost like cigarettes, for a week after we got them. Seemed to be their poop not their feathers which is very odd. I certainly won't order from them again, it was a very uncomfortable and disorganized situation.

from NE near Wilkes Barre

Yay someone near me! Welcome!

Ok another brooder question .....my 8 chicks,will,be 3 weeks on Tuesday when I clean there brooder I always put some of those doggie pee pads down then the pine shaving on top of them, the problem is as soon as they start scatching the pads or dug up moved all,around,so do I still need to put the pads down in my huge cardboard brooder.

I start all our chicks, ducklings, etc in a clear plastic tub with a rag towel as the bedding/litter. For chicks I change the towel once a week. For waterfowl 1 towel usually lasts the first week, after that I have to change it every 3 days. When it gets too crowded I upgrade to a bigger brooder but still use towels. This system lasts us till chicks/ducklings are 4 weeks old and ready to transition into the Juvie coop outside where I use straw or hay (that's what I use for all our adults). I use towels cause they're the cheapest bedding and I can just hand wash.

I had the second white laced red Cornish chick in the house for rehab today... She looked fine (well her normal weak/lazy self) when I brought out their new nipple water bucket this morning. The chicks mostly knew how to use it within seconds, but she didn't seem interested so I filled up the little water bowl for her and she drank a little. By the time I was done with the rest of my animal chores she was upside down on her back flailing around. I took her inside with me and fed her some rooster booster plus a little sugar water. She opened her mouth repeatedly like she was gagging (the two other chicks that I failed to save did that too... right before they died). She seemed to recover though. I had her inside for a few hours, I cleaned her pasty butt and kept feeding her the special water (there is also rooster booster in the big water bucket in the brooder). I had food but didn't really see her eat. She pooped several times (looked normal) and was exploring the house and calling for her friends before I took her back to the brooder this afternoon. I sure hope she is still doing okay in the morning... I decided I would call her Pumpkin if she survives.

Turns out I wasn't just imagining that these chicks are smaller and more fragile, it basically says so right in the description! I think I'll just stick with the dark Cornish from here on out https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/white_laced_red_cornish.html

Anyone know of a local place (or somewhere along my chicken train route) to get a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte? My mom saw a picture and fell in love. She's been teetering on the edge of chicken ownership and I want to be a good enabler daughter
big_smile.png
hehe

Anyone know of a  local place (or somewhere along my chicken train route) to get a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte? My mom saw a picture and fell in love. She's been teetering on the edge of chicken ownership and I want to be a good enabler daughter :D  hehe
o and I am going to be getting some porcelain silkies so when u go and get ur blue laced red wyandottes as that's one of the options I was going to go for for breeding but I fell for the silkies and then the blue laced red Wyandotte to the black copper Maran to serams to black jersey Giants and back to the Silkie so I was wondering if u could pick them up is ur route close to meadville

Last edited:
I heard the same. It took them a week to return my phone call. I don't think they have most of what is on their website--I am looking for a Coronation Sussex and a partridge Orpington.

you need to talk to Blarney on the Orps....but, I think her's are English show quality critters...

Anyone know of a local place (or somewhere along my chicken train route) to get a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte? My mom saw a picture and fell in love. She's been teetering on the edge of chicken ownership and I want to be a good enabler daughter
big_smile.png
hehe
you might check the hatching eggs section of the buy/sell/trade section of byc....been looking for some wyandottes myself and my local outlet isn't getting any in...

Back
Top Bottom