Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I need y'all's option. My wife think me and the kids are nuts. Every evening when weather permits we take our 6 and 7 week old chicks out of our nursery and get in the sun and lay in the grass with them and just play. The kids love it the chicks have a ball and I have a good time. It was so quit yesterday my daughter dug up a worm and befor she knew it one of the chicks grabed it. It was so funny she was running with it in her beak and half of the worm was draging on the ground. And all of the other chicks saw what she had and the chance was on.lol.. Now I ask what is so crazy about me and the kids doing this. We all have fun it gets the chicks out and thay get some good exercises. So to me its not crazy. Do yall agree?

Totally normal to play with your food. ;) Chickens are so entertaining, people have no idea!

We hold treats over the side of the fence and watch our pot bellied feather dusters hop for them! Oh--a little left over spaghetti and four hens beats most TV!

Love doing this. I'm glad I'm not the only one to make my girls do chicken aerobics!

Hello from Somerset county!!!

Welcome to the fun!

I had the weirdest dream this morning when I fell back asleep this morning. I dreamt that I put my broody girl in the toaster oven to keep her warm enough, but forgot about her and she got too hot. When I pulled her out, a leg had fallen off! It was terrible. Maybe I should just give her some eggs... We are hoping to put the house up for sale in the beginning of June though, so we have to find a home for them for a bit. :/

[COLOR=0000FF]​WOW!  Those meaties are pretty and healthy looking!  LOVE the penciled broody.  I thought it was Fisher's for a second.  [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]I can't help you with the sexes.  Kind of funny how you got naked necks, now there's a surprise.[/COLOR]

Yes, at first I thought I must have done something terribly wrong with incubation and they were rubbing their down off when zipping or sonething, lol. The first 2 were not naked necks.

My sister has two girls who seem to be glued to the nest boxes for the past week. We're assuming they are broody, but I have zero experience with broodies... And she only has hens, no rooster. I am thinking of sending a few turkey eggs back home for my sister with my mom this week when she comes out to visit. Can someone talk us through how this works? She only has 3 nest boxes and doesn't really want both chickens out of production for a month, so she'll need to break one and gives eggs to the other. She also does not have any other coop space to move the brood to, so they will be in the main coop.

The right answer is always 'give her some eggs,' right? We just need to know how to make it work. :)

My sister has two girls who seem to be glued to the nest boxes for the past week. We're assuming they are broody, but I have zero experience with broodies... And she only has hens, no rooster. I am thinking of sending a few turkey eggs back home for my sister with my mom this week when she comes out to visit. Can someone talk us through how this works? She only has 3 nest boxes and doesn't really want both chickens out of production for a month, so she'll need to break one and gives eggs to the other. She also does not have any other coop space to move the brood to, so they will be in the main coop.

The right answer is always 'give her some eggs,' right? We just need to know how to make it work. :)

Give eggs to both hens, that way of one doesn't commit, the other can take over and finish them out. As long as she's a good and protective mother, she'll be able to raise them in the main coop. They may need barricaded in the nest box for the first couple days after hatch to make sure the babies stay with her but after that, they should be fine. I have over 30 chickens in my main coop with a broody raising 6 babies among them all with no problems

i have 5 Khaki Campbells and i read that the drakes are supposed to have an olive colored bill and orange feet i have 2 with the live colored bills and 3 without, but some of my other ducks quack...?
idunno.gif

could anyone give some advice

i have 5 Khaki Campbells and i read that the drakes are supposed to have an olive colored bill and orange feet i have 2 with the live colored bills and 3 without, but some of my other ducks quack...?
idunno.gif

could anyone give some advice

How old are your ducks? We have four khaki Campbells, about six weeks old and we're trying to figure out the sex of each but it isn't obvious. So far ALL have dark colored bills and feet. I would prefer at least one drake among the bunch.

Back
Top Bottom