Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Today I decided to kick my CX chicks out of the coop for the day. I was tired of them just sitting by the food dish and pooping everywhere and I thought it would be good for them. To say that they had a good time would be total understatement. They had SO much fun today! I had to take pictures of them. The definitely got their exercise today! I THINK they're about 5-6 weeks old now. I cant remember lol.

With one of my rhodebar hens

One of the cochin chicks they hang out with. I think she's about 9-10 weeks old now

Cochin, RIR (11-12 weeks old?), CX

And I did manage to get a couple pictures of Ana an her babies :) I'm starting to wonder if she's ever going to take them outside.

WOW! Those meaties are pretty and healthy looking! LOVE the penciled broody. I thought it was Fisher's for a second.
So I ended up with 10 chicks from the incubation of our Easter Eggers eggs. I lost one that was cemented in the shell. She was not positioned quite right and broke the yolk early on while pipping. After 24 hours and little progress I helped her out, but she died 2 days later. She was just too weak.

We are in suburbia, so no rooster here, but bought 3 laying hens from a farm. We didn't see a naked neck roo, but they must have had one, lol. 7 out of the 10 chicks are naked necks.

Almost 1 1/2 weeks old. Anyone want to venture any guesses on how many girls we might have?

I can't help you with the sexes. Kind of funny how you got naked necks, now there's a surprise.

[COLOR=0000FF]​WOW!  Those meaties are pretty and healthy looking!  LOVE the penciled broody.  I thought it was Fisher's for a second.  [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]I can't help you with the sexes.  Kind of funny how you got naked necks, now there's a surprise.[/COLOR]

X 2 on the meaties, they do look great!
I know ours love their yard time also.

The pencil broody was one of our chicks, lol....last fall I had a broody with more chicks than she needed and Aurora had a broody who had dud eggs and needed some chicks, so she met me halfway and I gave her two day olds to graft to her hen...they are her Ana and Elsa.

[COLOR=0000FF]​WOW!  Those meaties are pretty and healthy looking!  LOVE the penciled broody.  I thought it was Fisher's for a second.  [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]I can't help you with the sexes.  Kind of funny how you got naked necks, now there's a surprise.[/COLOR]

X 2 on the meaties, they do look great!
I know ours love their yard time also.

The pencil broody was one of our chicks, lol....last fall I had a broody with more chicks than she needed and Aurora had a broody who had dud eggs and needed some chicks, so she met me halfway and I gave her two day olds to graft to her hen...they are her Ana and Elsa.

Thanks guys :) it's our first attempt with meaties so I'm glad to hear they look good. We must be doing something right :)

Ana is following in her mothers' footsteps (both the one who hatched her and the one who raised her). She's doing a wonderful job being mamma :) Elsa is still sitting tight on her one remaining egg. I really hope it hatches since I don't have any more chicks due to hatch.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :) it's our first attempt with meaties so I'm glad to hear they look good. We must be doing something right :)

Ana is following in her mothers' footsteps (both the one who hatched her and the one who raised her). She's doing a wonderful job being mamma :) Elsa is still sitting tight on her one remaining egg. I really hope it hatches since I don't have any more chicks due to hatch.

When is she due to hatch? The feed mill in Marion Center is having it's chick day this weekend, you can call them and see what breeds they are expecting to have and maybe get some day olds from them....

We have a hatch due Thursday but don't know how many she will have, so there is a chance there also.

Last edited:
When is she due to hatch? The feed mill in Marion Center is having it's chick day this weekend, you can call them and see what breeds they are expecting to have and maybe get some day olds from them....

We have a hatch due Thursday but don't know how many she will have, so there is a chance there also.

I was dumb and didn't write down what day her eggs were set but it has to be soon lol. I'm going to the Clearfield avicultural swap on Saturday so I may see what people have out there and see if I can find anything for her. I also have another broody on eggs too,due the same day. We'll see what happens lol.

I knew it. Elsa committed yesterday. I now have 3 of my 5 nest boxes filled with broody hens and another girl threatening. One of my CCL girls, Sky, saw Honey's nest full of eggs while Honey was off eating and jumped in it. I moved her out so Honey could get back in but Sky was mad, growling and looking like a bowling ball for a while.

Ana and Elsa will apparently NOT share a nest. I tried prong them together in one of the bigger nests and Elsa immediately started attacking Ana. I hope these girls will share the babies, even if they don't share the nests. I'm probably going to devide up the 12 eggs that I originality gave the two girls between the three of them.

@Blarneyeggs, I'm glad to hear that the poults are doing well :) You'll have to post some pictures when they get big.

This post was 19 days ago, so depends on how soon you gave her eggs after she seemed to commit, but should be within a few days of this weekend.

This post was 19 days ago, so depends on how soon you gave her eggs after she seemed to commit, but should be within a few days of this weekend.

I actualy just gave her a couple eggs that the other girls had started so if that was 19 days ago, hatch day should be any day now. Maybe I'll candle the eggs tonight and see if they're any good. They were iffy a week ago :/

Back
Top Bottom