Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Coop question for my fellow Pennsylvanians,

Our Silkies are now 6 weeks old. They've been out for 2 weeks now, on grass - which is now naturally muddy due to rain, chicken tracks and poop. I'm considering putting down sand, but I'm not 100% on it yet. The ground under their coop where they started is pretty destroyed, so I definitely want to put a layer of something down. They're coop extension area was just added, so it's still got a decent amount of grass yet, but I'm sure I'll have to cover it soon enough.

Sand, yay or nay?

We just started with 9 Silkies who are now 6 weeks old. They've been out for 2 weeks now, on grass - which is now fairly muddy due to rain, chicken tracks and poop. I'm considering putting down sand, but I'm not 100% on it yet. The ground under their coop where they started is pretty destroyed, so I definitely want to put a layer of something down. They're coop extension area was just added a few days ago, so it's still got a decent amount of grass yet, but I'm sure I'll have to cover it soon enough.

Sand, yay or nay?

I would go with sand. If u put sand down u can put straw down over it. The sand would help keep the moisture down enough where the staw shouldn't rot and the sad would also offer some grit to.

I need y'all's option. My wife think me and the kids are nuts. Every evening when weather permits we take our 6 and 7 week old chicks out of our nursery and get in the sun and lay in the grass with them and just play. The kids love it the chicks have a ball and I have a good time. It was so quit yesterday my daughter dug up a worm and befor she knew it one of the chicks grabed it. It was so funny she was running with it in her beak and half of the worm was draging on the ground. And all of the other chicks saw what she had and the chance was on.lol.. Now I ask what is so crazy about me and the kids doing this. We all have fun it gets the chicks out and thay get some good exercises. So to me its not crazy. Do yall agree?

I need y'all's option. My wife think me and the kids are nuts. Every evening when weather permits we take our 6 and 7 week old chicks out of our nursery and get in the sun and lay in the grass with them and just play. The kids love it the chicks have a ball and I have a good time. It was so quit yesterday my daughter dug up a worm and befor she knew it one of the chicks grabed it. It was so funny she was running with it in her beak and half of the worm was draging on the ground. And all of the other chicks saw what she had and the chance was on.lol.. Now I ask what is so crazy about me and the kids doing this. We all have fun it gets the chicks out and thay get some good exercises. So to me its not crazy. Do yall agree?

Yes, you're crazy, but so are the rest of us! Keep doing it!

We call that chase with food hanging out of the mouth " chicken football ". The entertainment is part of the joy of chickens.

We just started with 9 Silkies who are now 6 weeks old. They've been out for 2 weeks now, on grass - which is now fairly muddy due to rain, chicken tracks and poop. I'm considering putting down sand, but I'm not 100% on it yet. The ground under their coop where they started is pretty destroyed, so I definitely want to put a layer of something down. They're coop extension area was just added a few days ago, so it's still got a decent amount of grass yet, but I'm sure I'll have to cover it soon enough.

Sand, yay or nay?

My only question about sand is that eventually you have to remove and replace it. I don't see myself doing that , so my run is bedded with dry leaves saved from a very old, very big, very generous oak tree on our property. The girls mulch up the leaves pretty nicely.

I agree a 100% with u about how entreating thay are to watch. I get up at 6am to go and feed and I wait till last to feed my roosters. Ill put my chair right I there pen. And as soon as that get done eating thay start chasing each other all over the pen. Then it hay start play fighting thay never each other and it's great entertainment in my book.

If it's crazy or not depends on who you're asking. Not crazy to us here! You think it's funny watching chicks part chase with a worm, you should see some chunky Cornish cross do it lol

Quote: I'm sorry Stake, but I really did 'LOL' when I read this post... Did they make you dance? Bugs all over me would be fodder for nightmares for months to come.

These are my two girls in question ine is a Slw and ine a speckled sussex....do i have 2 roos or a two girls one of each. The SLW is Stella my girlfriends favorite. They are both 7 weeks old.
Sorry to say, I agree with the majority here, look like 2 cockerels to me.

Windtryst here in Chester County
Chesco? me too!!
frow.gif

That was me, and we did organize a Coop Snoop & Garden tour. Proceeds went to Chester Springs Library.
You will be happy to know that soon we will have our very own Tractor Supply store on rt 113 where the old Redners Mkt. was.
I think my friend attended this a year or 2 ago. LOVE peeking at other peoples coops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom