Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ok, so no TUMS to help if she is eggbound? Will just go work on the prolapse and keep ya'll posted. Thanks for all the help!!!

Will be back with pics of our finished hoop coop that the girls are enjoying and some of the colorful egg basket from the girls who finally started laying. It's not all doom and gloom around here! :)

Have a great afternoon!!

You know, you are wonderful, right?
love.gif

That's what she said.

Gah . . .
chx has been soaking in sink while I try to massage the works back in. Triple antibiotic ointment. Good to go. Drying her off to put her in small cage and she starts working the vent again. Out it all pops! Back to the sink, more massaging, finger in the vent and I can't feel an egg directly in the vent, but off to the side of poop opening. So found the exit hole, but egg(?) seems to be pushing to the right while exit is on the left. Lots of push, push, push and vent area is all extended again as big as an egg atleast just like before. In that extended or prolapsed area it feels like there is a ball that I can move around. I think an egg? BUT, I can't get the skin to move around from the side to the end so the egg can exit.

Bird is clearly worn out now, distressed maybe too? Eyes closed. Sorta labored breathing. Ready to cull and move on. Too much stress and time drain. In a darkened cage with food and water. Nice and warm. Tried to work the mass back in, but no dice. Triple abx cream. Will just let her rest for awhile and recover from the ordeal and reassess later. Hate to lose a chx and hope for a recovery, but I can't see how?

Some of the skin pushed out around the vent area also looks necrotic? Like it's starting to rot, ulcerated or something?

Gah . . . 
chx has been soaking in sink while I try to massage the works back in. Triple antibiotic ointment. Good to go. Drying her off to put her in small cage and she starts working the vent again. Out it all pops! Back to the sink, more massaging, finger in the vent and I can't feel an egg directly in the vent, but off to the side of poop opening. So found the exit hole, but egg(?) seems to be pushing to the right while exit is on the left. Lots of push, push, push and vent area is all extended again as big as an egg atleast just like before. In that extended or prolapsed area it feels like there is a ball that I can move around. I think an egg? BUT, I can't get the skin to move around from the side to the end so the egg can exit. 

Bird is clearly worn out now, distressed maybe too? Eyes closed. Sorta labored breathing. Ready to cull and move on. Too much stress and time drain. In a darkened cage with food and water. Nice and warm. Tried to work the mass back in, but no dice. Triple abx cream. Will just let her rest for awhile and recover from the ordeal and reassess later. Hate to lose a chx and hope for a recovery, but I can't see how? 

Some of the skin pushed out around the vent area also looks necrotic? Like it's starting to rot, ulcerated or something? 

I'm of no help, but I'm sorry this happened. Hope you can help her, even if it means a cull. :hugs

Hi all i am back again, i have just been lurking and reading the post here. Update on my chicks they are now 15 weeks old and doing great. I wound up with two roosters,that i am going to rehome. Now i need a favor my girlfriend would like to peplace them with either 2 eastereggers or two cream legbars any ideas where i migjt find a couple of these about the same age as my chickens.
Thanks Tom

I have some available that are about 10 weeks old. A couple may be pure ameraucanas but most are just easter eggers if you're interested. I'm near Patton, PA

Last edited:
The black is something I noticed on ours also. I think just the irritation causes open skin and the scabbing is black. Whatever it was it didn't seem to effect the overall process.
Try pushing from her side on the outside to move the lump to the middle, it may take a second person....you can also use a syringe (with no needle) to inject a few CCs of olive oil or similar lubricant into her vent to aid in moving any egg through.

It is a time consuming venture to repair a prolapsed vent, culling is an option but I was able to take the chance at it working and it did for us. It is very frustrating to see the prolapsing recur but it does happen less and less as time progresses. Keeping her in a quiet area helps.

I have some available that are about 10 weeks old. A couple may be pure ameraucanas but most are just easter eggers if you're interested. I'm near Patton, PA
Thanks Dream but i just had a,lady contact me about my roosters she eants them both and she is gpimg to sale me three 1 year old easter eggers. THANK YOU for the offer i eill keep u in mind in the spring. I am prolly going to look for a couple welsumers next spring.

The black is something I noticed on ours also. I think just the irritation causes open skin and the scabbing is black. Whatever it was it didn't seem to effect the overall process.
Try pushing from her side on the outside to move the lump to the middle, it may take a second person....you can also use a syringe (with no needle) to inject a few CCs of olive oil or similar lubricant into her vent to aid in moving any egg through.

It is a time consuming venture to repair a prolapsed vent, culling is an option but I was able to take the chance at it working and it did for us. It is very frustrating to see the prolapsing recur but it does happen less and less as time progresses. Keeping her in a quiet area helps.
So you did continue to have prolapsing? Over a period of days as you worked on repairing the problem? or subsequent weeks or months?
Did you notice your hen pushing the area right out again after massaging it in? I didn't have the heart to stress her any more today. She's in a crate in a coop by herself right now. Food water and darkened. I'll try again tomorrow if that sounds like what I should be doing. Just try moving the egg to the center after lubing and gently massage to help her a bit then back to rest again?

I did collect 2 dark eggs from the other 2 wellies today so very excited about those pretty eggs!

Back
Top Bottom