Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anyone here make maple syrup from your own trees? We're attempting it this year. A guy at our church took us out to his camp this morning to show us how they make it. Definitely really neat! We came home and tapped 6 of our maples to try it. I swear we already have two gallons and we just did it maybe two hours ago. I thought it would drip slower than that!

@fisherlady. Update on shipping shows eggs are coming today. I am going to stick them in the bator, just for kicks. I will put in a couple of my own just as a precaution against having a lone chick. Which end goes up? I do have an egg turner in the bator.

When I get shipped eggs, I candle them before I put them in the incubator. I look for loose or detached air cells. Then, I put them in the incubator, but I do not turn them for the first 3 days. I let them start to develope before turning, in the hopes that the air cell stays put. No real science to this that I know of, just seems to make sense to me. Hoping for a good hatch for you. :fl

Anyone here make maple syrup from your own trees? We're attempting it this year. A guy at our church took us out to his camp this morning to show us how they make it. Definitely really neat! We came home and tapped 6 of our maples to try it. I swear we already have two gallons and we just did it maybe two hours ago. I thought it would drip slower than that!
WOW!!!!! I am soooo ingtrigued! Please let us know how you make out...I'm curious as to the next steps. Go YOU!

@Auroradream26

Cool project! Will look forward to hearing how it turns out for you
clap.gif

WOW!!!!! I am soooo ingtrigued! Please let us know how you make out...I'm curious as to the next steps. Go YOU!

I'm very excited! We've gathered at least 3 gallons so far just in the past couple hours! It seems like it's flowing faster as the day warms up :) Next step will be boiling it down. It takes 40 gallons to make 1 gallon of syrup lol

@fisherlady. Update on shipping shows eggs are coming today. I am going to stick them in the bator, just for kicks. I will put in a couple of my own just as a precaution against having a lone chick. Which end goes up? I do have an egg turner in the bator.

When I get shipped eggs, I candle them before I put them in the incubator. I look for loose or detached air cells. Then, I put them in the incubator, but I do not turn them for the first 3 days. I let them start to develope before turning, in the hopes that the air cell stays put. No real science to this that I know of, just seems to make sense to me. Hoping for a good hatch for you. :fl

Thank you! Looks like I will have to wait for my next shipment. The tracking update said they were supposed to be delivered today. The mail came and still no package. :he

So I checked on my one sneezing Silkie today today to dose her with the Vetrx. She has barely come out of the coop since it snowed. When I checked her over, she had a bunch of lice, poor girl. So I put the Vetrx around her vent and under her wings as well. It was amazing, within a minute or so, the lice were DEAD! I checked my broody, and sure enough, she had a bunch too. :/. So I treated her with the Vetrx and de-lousing powder as well. When I went to check re later, I could see the lice on her outer feathers, but they were all dead too. They must have been trying to run away and died in the process. That stuff is great. I put a few drops in each of the nesting boxes as a precaution, and I will dose everyone else tonight once they go in the coop for the evening.

:thumbsup I know LMP and I rely on the Vet Rx. It's mildness makes using it easier. You don't have to agonize about it. I'd look for a lower price. It may have gone up in cost, but I don't think that I paid more than $4 at TSC.

Back
Top Bottom