Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Most of those I should have. Instead of the BCM, I hope to have plenty of Welbars around that time, and they are very sexable. The Ameraucanas are not sexable as chicks, but Silvers are sexable at 3 4 weeks. Lavenders are very hard to sex until they are several months old. The redeeming thing about them is if you end up with a roo, they are about the easiest breed/color to sell to a good home.

Someone has lavender orpington sexlinks for sell. I wonder how he gets them? I know if you have black x lavender, you will get black chickens with lavender gene. I don't know if it's gender related though.

Wow, glad you and your friend are okay. My girls were braving the storm also. They hid under the coop during the worst of it, but after it slowed a bit, they were outside roaming around as if nothing was going on. They were getting rained on, but that wasn't going to stop their search for nibbles! :lol: They are very smart, they know exactly how dark it has to be for their automatic door to shut...

Any more babies, Ann?

Most of those I should have. Instead of the BCM, I hope to have plenty of Welbars around that time, and they are very sexable. The Ameraucanas are not sexable as chicks, but Silvers are sexable at 3 4 weeks. Lavenders are very hard to sex until they are several months old. The redeeming thing about them is if you end up with a roo, they are about the easiest breed/color to sell to a good home.

Yay!! I'm excited!! I've never participated in the chicken train before, so tell me if I'm doing it wrong--but I'd for sure love to reserve at least an olive egger, a blue egg black sexlink, and a silver Ameraucana if you happen to have one old enough to sex at that time. I think you've also talked me into a Welbar--I looked at your page and a bunch of the pics on this thread, and they really are beautiful birds. If their eggs really are at least as dark as a hatchery BCM, then that's what I'm looking for.

On the Lav Ams, I can't take a 50/50 risk on a rooster, since at least one of my neighbors (the anonymous letter sending one) seems to be low on patience for my accidental roosters, and they aren't allowed here by law, so I don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Wow, glad you and your friend are okay. My girls were braving the storm also. They hid under the coop during the worst of it, but after it slowed a bit, they were outside roaming around as if nothing was going on. They were getting rained on, but that wasn't going to stop their search for nibbles! :lol: They are very smart, they know exactly how dark it has to be for their automatic door to shut...

Any more babies, Ann?

So far, just the two. But I say that only because I can't find my night vision-long distance-X-ray glasses. :lol: Even if she only hatched two, that would be okay. Enough to have a small brood and entertainment for us. I love having broodys. Entertaining, educational, and she does all the work! :p

Yay!!  I'm excited!!  I've never participated in the chicken train before, so tell me if I'm doing it wrong--but I'd for sure love to reserve at least an olive egger, a blue egg black sexlink, and a silver Ameraucana if you happen to have one old enough to sex at that time.  I think you've also talked me into a Welbar--I looked at your page and a bunch of the pics on this thread, and they really are beautiful birds.  If their eggs really are at least as dark as a hatchery BCM, then that's what I'm looking for.  

On the Lav Ams, I can't take a 50/50 risk on a rooster, since at least one of my neighbors (the anonymous letter sending one) seems to be low on patience for my accidental roosters, and they aren't allowed here by law, so I don't have much of a leg to stand on.     

Dheltzel has very nice stock. I wasn't allowed to have a Roo where I lived before either, but I was able to find one a home before it became a problem. I'd say go for it. They are very unique birds, worth the chance.

The Blue egg laying sex links are great chickens too, excellent layers and very hardy. My broody now is one of the sex links, but I think Dheltzel said mine is the first he has seen do that. I guess she feels safe and cozy here. :)

Our new boys were up and eating from my hubbies hand! So one of them was castrated the day before we got them. So two days ago. Could that be affecting him too?

yes. For sure. I band my wethers quite early -4 weeks, and it takes a few days before they are moving with the herd. And a few weeks before they are running and jumping at the same rate as their peers. Keep an eye on things, and your Blu Kote ready, just in case.

Someone has lavender orpington sexlinks for sell. I wonder how he gets them? I know if you have black x lavender, you will get black chickens with lavender gene. I don't know if it's gender related though.
I'm guessing that they are hoping to sell straight run chicks as pullets because the genetics don't support this very well. Lavender chick down is too light to see the headspot. If you cross a lavender cuckoo hen and lavender (non-cuckoo) cock, you will get "black sexlink" chicks, but I would not trust the sexing on those chicks.

Back
Top Bottom