Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Yay!! I'm excited!! I've never participated in the chicken train before, so tell me if I'm doing it wrong--but I'd for sure love to reserve at least an olive egger, a blue egg black sexlink, and a silver Ameraucana if you happen to have one old enough to sex at that time. I think you've also talked me into a Welbar--I looked at your page and a bunch of the pics on this thread, and they really are beautiful birds. If their eggs really are at least as dark as a hatchery BCM, then that's what I'm looking for.

On the Lav Ams, I can't take a 50/50 risk on a rooster, since at least one of my neighbors (the anonymous letter sending one) seems to be low on patience for my accidental roosters, and they aren't allowed here by law, so I don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Sounds like there may be a couple new stops on the chicken train this time! The way it usually works is that you figure out what you want from Dheltzel (or whoever else) and then let me know what you are getting and when/where we can meet up to drop off your goodies. I just need to know ahead of time so I can be sure I bring the right crates and have enough space. My Easter trip from east to west will be on April 17th... I take the turnpike to Pittsburgh and then head north to Beaver County, so we can arrange a stop along that route. Or if you're close enough to Beaver County, you can pick up from my house within the next day or two.

Pretty sure Mabel is Jaebels' mama. Rory is the other one from last year's hatch. I think I have the other eggs labeled correctly. I don't need to dye eggs for Easter! I still do want a truer blue layer and a dark dark brown also. Cate stopped laying again.

Sounds like there may be a couple new stops on the chicken train this time! The way it usually works is that you figure out what you want from Dheltzel (or whoever else) and then let me know what you are getting and when/where we can meet up to drop off your goodies. I just need to know ahead of time so I can be sure I bring the right crates and have enough space. My Easter trip from east to west will be on April 17th... I take the turnpike to Pittsburgh and then head north to Beaver County, so we can arrange a stop along that route. Or if you're close enough to Beaver County, you can pick up from my house within the next day or two.

What day will you be heading from west to east? I may have to meet you that way this time if @Blarneyeggs wants some poults lol. If you're transporting on the way out that is :)

Anyone have an idea on how much fermented feed 8 RIR and 4 bantam should eat a day? Or 20 ducks? My first batch should be done today!

Last edited:

Pretty sure Mabel is Jaebels' mama. Rory is the other one from last year's hatch. I think I have the other eggs labeled correctly. I don't need to dye eggs for Easter! I still do want a truer blue layer and a dark dark brown also. Cate stopped laying again.
You *need* some black, lavender or silver Ameraucanas to make really blue eggs. Legbars would work too, depending on what color birds you prefer. Since you have a tolerance for raising roos, Ams would be a good fit for you. I love the look of the Ams, dark legs, "ear muffs" and beards. Pea combs make them the ultimate winter chicken too, at least for blue eggs.

For dark eggs, I thought you had some Copper Marans? Bielefelders and Welbars are my dark egg layers. Neither are hatching well for me now, but if you want either of those, I will try to work it out.

They look beautiful! So happy for you to have a lovely variety! You need some CCLs for their beautiful blue eggs for sure!

I hate being at work while my broody might be hopping off the nest today. I put some food and water in with her in the nest box. I also put a waterer on the floor of the coop if she decides to get up. When she does finally get off the nest, I have a large wire dog crate ready to put in the coop.

The most eggs I've ever gotten! Someone laid two and one of the Banty girls figured out not to lay hers on the floor. Two more to go.

Can't wait to have a basket of eggs like that!

Back
Top Bottom