Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

A few pics of the lovely chicks from @dheltzel . They are healthy and happy and just as cute as can be. I think I got "about" 3 new ones, but who's counting?

@dheltzel , the Silver Ams are noticeably different--one is smaller, lighter, and is feathering in more slowly (the one on the right in the second picture above). I am guessing that one may turn out to be a boy, because of the slower feathering?
Slower feathering is one theory, size is also a possible factor. I tried to pick 2 different ones in the hope that at least 1 would be a pullet.
The Cream of the legbar really shows when they are together like that.

I heard that ducks don't like your raised coop though. Are you going to make a separate coop for them? I'm debating if I should have my coop set on the ground so ducks can use it too, or I just get a small dog house for 2 ducks. 

My muscovies don't mind the raised coop. It's 3 feet off the ground and they do the ramp just fine. I'm not sure if they're justword because they're muscovies or if most ducks wouldn't mind.

Slower feathering is one theory, size is also a possible factor. I tried to pick 2 different ones in the hope that at least 1 would be a pullet.
The Cream of the legbar really shows when they are together like that.

Picking 2 different ones of the silver am sounds like a good strategy to me--fingers crossed! :) And the legbar is definitely much "creamier" thank the others (that sounds awful, like she's about to become soup--she's not!)--I can't wait to see how she turns out.

Quote: I certainly could build a new little coop for them. I have the room!

A few pics of the lovely chicks from @dheltzel . They are healthy and happy and just as cute as can be. I think I got "about" 3 new ones, but who's counting?

@dheltzel , the Silver Ams are noticeably different--one is smaller, lighter, and is feathering in more slowly (the one on the right in the second picture above). I am guessing that one may turn out to be a boy, because of the slower feathering?

They are so cute!! But however did you get them to stand still for the pictures?
jumpy.gif

For those of you who have raised meat chicks, do they tend to be calmer? They are so quiet, and I don't know if it's because they love their heating pad brooder, or because they are so many of them.
Or maybe the breed?

I certainly could build a new little coop for them. I have the room!

They are so cute!! But however did you get them to stand still for the pictures?
jumpy.gif

Always a challenge! They all seem perfectly happy to stand still with their fluffy butts pointing at me, but are constantly in motion when they're facing me.
roll.png
My best tip is to put them somewhere that they don't want to roam too far. That's why I put them on that little wall--high enough that they don't want to jump, low enough that they don't get hurt if they do. Once they get a little older than these guys, I try to have an assistant (one of my kids) on hand to help wrangle them if they try to fly off. Then I just follow them around and wait for them to make a cute face at the camera.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom