Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hey guys, I have a situation, not sure if I'm doing right or not. In my big coop, I have my girls and a silkie roo, I had 2 more roos coming to age, and it was too much for the girls and they started losing feathers, so I took the 2 young roos and put them in a small 2 chicken coop, and have been letting them free range with the turkey. Will they fight with each other as they get older because there are hens on the property, we don't mind having them around for tick control , they are pretty and non aggressive right now.

A few pics of the lovely chicks from @dheltzel . They are healthy and happy and just as cute as can be. I think I got "about" 3 new ones, but who's counting? @dheltzel , the Silver Ams are noticeably different--one is smaller, lighter, and is feathering in more slowly (the one on the right in the second picture above). I am guessing that one may turn out to be a boy, because of the slower feathering?
Adorable!

My muscovies don't mind the raised coop. It's 3 feet off the ground and they do the ramp just fine. I'm not sure if they're justword because they're muscovies or if most ducks wouldn't mind.

My Pekin don't mind a ramp either.

Fulton County west of McConnellsburg

:frow :welcome

Hey guys, I have a situation, not sure if I'm doing right or not. In my big coop, I have my girls and a silkie roo, I had 2 more roos coming to age, and it was too much for the girls and they started losing feathers, so I took the 2 young roos and put them in a small 2 chicken coop, and have been letting them free range with the turkey. Will they fight with each other as they get older because there are hens on the property, we don't mind having them around for tick control , they are pretty and non aggressive right now.

Probably not. Even if they chest bump some, it's not a big deal. That is just pecking order.

For those of you who have raised meat chicks, do they tend to be calmer?  They are so quiet, and I don't know if it's because they love their heating pad brooder, or because they are so many of them. 

Or maybe the breed?

My meat chickens so far have been some of my tamest chickens. They are so calm. I don't let my daughter play with them because of attachment and then we'll eat them. But she can't stay away. They are so docile and affectionate!

Pretty sure Ancona chicks are the cutest chicks ever!

Can't seem to get a decent pic of them lol. But they are adorable!

So I came home from running the chicken train and resisted temptation to get any new birds... and you know what hubs came home from work with yesterday???? Four and a half dozen pheasant eggs and an incubator!!! I'm not sure where we are going to put them when they hatch (or how many will actually hatch, hubs friend says his hatch rate is really low), but we should have some tiny little chipmunk peeps for Mother's day, lol. These eggs are SO tiny!

Romeo update... I watched him in his crate in the coop for one day when I got back and then released him to re-integrate with his girls. He still has his eyeball in the injured eye! I thought it was just an empty hole, but the swelling is totally gone, no more pus, and he keeps it open (mostly) now and his eyeball is intact! There was a little bit of gunk in it yesterday so I put a little more Terramycin on it just to be safe. He doesn't appear to be USING that eye, but at least it's still there.

Pretty sure Ancona chicks are the cutest chicks ever!

Can't seem to get a decent pic of them lol. But they are adorable!

I agree! The mottled gene makes them like that. It's funny how they start out mostly white and end up mostly black. Anconas used to be the mainstay of white egg producers, before Leghorns took over because they are smaller birds that can be crammed into smaller cages. Blue Andalusians used to be hugely popular also, until they also lost the commercial crown to leghorns.

Enjoy those Anconas, they should be awesome birds.

Back
Top Bottom