Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I understand being apprehensive about it at first but with some people there isn't even the willingness to try. I don't know, I guess I just take it too personally.
I grew up around farms and farmers and know where food comes from, but so many people just don't. Corporate farms make money by insulating their consumers from their producers, they really don't want either group to understand the other because being the middleman/broker is their "secret sauce" that keeps them in business.
Let's face it, for most people, knowing too much about their food just makes them nervous. Remember the news stories about rodent and insect parts and.or feces in our food? Haven't heard many of those recently, at least in the mainstream media. I think the newspeople figures out that some "news" is just unwelcome. Our food supply is nasty, dirty and often unsafe in some way, yet we survive eating the stuff.

So much change that I do not know where to start....
side business has been shut down or now. I do not do any processing till we are moved and settled in

I changed jobs, I now earn a living doing what I like, I work in a custom cut meat department.

Farm that we know is currently up for sale...problem being, we are not going into debt at our ages, so we made the decision to take out the cash from years of hard work and start over elsewhere, Lancaster county farmland is currently going for thirty thousand an acre, which is to steep for us..hence, the reason why we are leaving lancaster.

so much more happening, but so little time to type..

side business has been shut down or now. I do not do any processing till we are moved and settled in

I changed jobs, I now earn a living doing what I like, I work in a custom cut meat department.

Farm that we know is currently up for sale...problem being, we are not going into debt at our ages, so we made the decision to take out the cash from years of hard work and start over elsewhere, Lancaster county farmland is currently going for thirty thousand an acre, which is to steep for us..hence, the reason why we are leaving lancaster.

I am sorry you have to move, but starting fresh and being done with many of the headaches from before may not be such a bad thing.
Glad you are back to a job you like.

Same old, same old here...chickens at home, camping and fishing in Erie...working 120 hrs every two weeks...

I have 6 Bantam roos sitting on top of brooder and crowing at me. Definitely time to go outside. Not even 2 months old! They sound so funny!

They are so cute when they are little and trying.
Hello to all newbies from the last 2 years..
To the old timers. Hello, been awhile.

Hello there! Long time no see!
frow.gif

Quote:

Very interesting. I have a SIL that freaks out because a couple times she has bought food from a discount grocery store and it had some bugs in it. While not appetizing, it happens anywhere there is food. I don't worry about it. But I wanted to raise my own chickens so that I have fresh, humanely raised meat. I know it will be hard when processing day comes because I will be doing all the work myself. I know it will be worth it.

One of my favorite podcasters often says "Facts don't care about your feelings." So the facts are, I have chosen to raise some meat birds so that I can be assured of good quality and humane processing. I may have some sad feelings, but the show must go on. Please remind me of this when processing day comes around.
lol.png

Hope everything works out for you dear. Since we last spoke, I have been able to move to a lovely home with 5 acres. I just picked up my first batch of meat chickens the other day. I only wish I had someone like you to walk me through it the first time. 'm very happy for you that you are doing what you love. Will keep you in my prayers.

Back
Top Bottom