Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

How much luck have you all had with trying to slip day old chicks under a broody? My Buff Orp. has been sitting on fertile eggs for about 8 days, I candled last night and was sad to see none look like they have veining, the past 4 days or so she has been doing great, but the first few days she was kicking some eggs out, or returning to the wrong eggs during the day when she got off to drink. I found cold eggs a few times those first couple days. I am trying to decide whether to give her a new set (after a few days when I am positive they aren't incubating) or slip a few chicks under her.

Is there a certain time of year for moulting? Some of my girls are looking rough

Typically in the fall, but really anytime of year.

How much luck have you all had with trying to slip day old chicks under a broody? My Buff Orp. has been sitting on fertile eggs for about 8 days, I candled last night and was sad to see none look like they have veining, the past 4 days or so she has been doing great, but the first few days she was kicking some eggs out, or returning to the wrong eggs during the day when she got off to drink. I found cold eggs a few times those first couple days. I am trying to decide whether to give her a new set (after a few days when I am positive they aren't incubating) or slip a few chicks under her. 

I'm surprised you are candling a broody hen's eggs. That can disturb her, and break her. Or make her brood somewhere else.
If she has no success by day 23, you can give her day-olds at night. Before day 18ish is very risky.

I'm surprised you are candling a broody hen's eggs. That can disturb her, and break her. Or make her brood somewhere else.
If she has no success by day 23, you can give her day-olds at night. Before day 18ish is very risky.

She is my 3rd broody in the past year, I've candled all the eggs, only once per week, she is used to me moving her around, I have to lift her daily to retrieve any new eggs that I don't want incubated.

So I made a mistake and ended up with one black Sumatra pullet mixed in with about 20 standards. Didnt realize shes a Bantam till now. Will she be okay? Hopefully I'll have some Bantam babies soon but itll be at least a week and a half I think.

So I made a mistake and ended up with one black Sumatra pullet mixed in with about 20 standards. Didnt realize shes a Bantam till now. Will she be okay? Hopefully I'll have some Bantam babies soon but itll be at least a week and a half I think.

I don't know anything about the temperament of Sumatra. That being said, I have bantam and LF mixed: Dominique, English Orphington, RIR, Wyandotte, Polish Leghorn, Bantam Cochin, Cochin/Silkie, D'uccle. She may be the bottom of the pecking order, but if there is plenty of room, she may not be picked on.

Niko is starting her broody bit a little early this year. I am trying to stop her but if she is serious in a week, I'll give her some eggs. Anyone have any nifty ones I could let her have? Mine will be mutts, unless Cate gives me a Marans. Papa will be Dupli, a Marans.

Back
Top Bottom