Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Where are you located? We should try to find someone close. I have loads of extra hatching eggs right now, if you happen to be withing driving distance of Pottstown or King of Prussia.

I'm in Adamstown near Denver. My last white leghorn fell prey to a predator on opening day of trout season. And my other EE hen is MIA with no evidence of where she may be. I've given my broody EE two CL eggs that have been covered by my welsummer/Wyandotte cross but I'd like some white layers or blue/green

I don't know anything about the temperament of Sumatra. That being said, I have bantam and LF mixed: Dominique, English Orphington, RIR, Wyandotte, Polish Leghorn, Bantam Cochin, Cochin/Silkie, D'uccle. She may be the bottom of the pecking order, but if there is plenty of room, she may not be picked on.

Shes just so tiny in the brooder. I just picked two of each available breed they had to fill the box. Thought they were all standards. Having a hard time telling saipian jungle fowl from Delawares right now.

Hey all! First day with no chick escapees!!!! Woohoo!
Apparently I was right about how they were getting out. My early guess based on early tail feather growth was 3 BO pullets and 3 BO cockerels, 4 Amer. pullets and 2 Amer. cockerels. I am anxiously waiting to see if my guess was correct. I'm still feeling good about the BO guess watching the comb development begin. The Amer. are more skittish so it is harder to get them to come close for me to see.

I keep waiting for the day that my 1 year old hens will go back to laying 5 for 5...hopefully that will happen soon!

:weee

Caught this critter on video last night... hoping to catch it in a trap tonight. ;)

(first time trying to post a video, hope it works!)

Well done. I havent' figured out the u-tube thing. I think you could get a pretty nice hat outta that guy.

wee.gif

Well done. I havent' figured out the u-tube thing. I think you could get a pretty nice hat outta that guy.

Thanks! I was pretty proud of myself.
tongue.png
Unfortunately, he hasn't been back by the trap. According to the video, I almost caught a cat two nights ago (it managed to trigger the trap so it was closed in the morning), but no visitors last night. We continue to wait....

I'm in Adamstown near Denver. My last white leghorn fell prey to a predator on opening day of trout season. And my other EE hen is MIA with no evidence of where she may be. I've given my broody EE two CL eggs that have been covered by my welsummer/Wyandotte cross but I'd like some white layers or blue/green
We get feed delivered from Gehman's in Denver, so it's not impossibly far, but still quite a drive. Keep it in mind if you happen to be heading towards Pottstown. I hatch pretty much all spring and summer.

I
2764.png
doing chores in sideways rain. Not.

:hugs. Thankfully. We've only had light rain this morning, but it's coming!

Here are the meat chickens, and the two banty Langshans and turkey baby. Finally got their stinky butts moved out to the garage. Love this plastic tub I got on Craigslist! Now they have room to stretch out, but they will still be warm enough at night. When my incubator babies hatch, I think I am going to put some in with the banty langshans and the turkey. They can't stay with the meaties too much longer, i'm afraid they will be hurt.

Now with the garage door open, how long do you think it will take before the big chickens come by and hop in to eat their food? :lol:

Last edited:
:hugs. Thankfully. We've only had light rain this morning, but it's coming!

Here are the meat chickens, and the two banty Langshans and turkey baby. Finally got their stinky butts moved out to the garage. Love this plastic tub I got on Craigslist! Now they have room to stretch out, but they will still be warm enough at night. When my incubator babies hatch, I think I am going to put some in with the banty langshans and the turkey. They can't stay with the meaties too much longer, i'm afraid they will be hurt.

Now with the garage door open, how long do you think it will take before the big chickens come by and hop in to eat their food? :lol:

Nice set up.
1f44d.png

And opening the door on decent days is a great way to start getting them ready for going outside...
It won't be long before nosey flock members come in to investigate, but be careful because they may not appreciate the chicks as much as you do!

Back
Top Bottom