Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Update on my goats. Not only did I get them in horrible condition but the first vet I went too was no help at all. He miss diagnosed Stetsons eye and now its dead. Ford does have cl and vet found a small lump in Stetsons neck that we'll have to watch. Ugh. Vet wants me to keep them apart for now till Ford gets stronger (hopefully) and I am finally mad enough to report woman to animal services.
Ugh you should have reported her a long time ago. I'm sorry that they aren't doing too good... I hope they get better quickly.
hugs.gif

A ne
:oops:  I have to agree with Fisher here. Lord knows I'll have to deal with this when my flock is finally old enough to go outside. And in this case with how many blasted raccoons there are... a dead raccoon is one less to bother your flock and that's a good raccoon. Also don't forget that you won't get in any kind of trouble for killing it because it's attacking your livestock. Game wardens can't say a thing, and they won't (because it's a raccoon). 

A neighbor shot one for this year (we don't own a gun). But he was out in broad daylight, harassing the chickens... had a pullet by the leg. I thought we lost her. I came running out with a plastic watering can-- and threw it at him. He lazily made his way up a tree. Shortly after, it seemed obvious that he shouldn't be out midday and that's a bad sign.

A neighbor shot one for this year (we don't own a gun). But he was out in broad daylight, harassing the chickens... had a pullet by the leg. I thought we lost her. I came running out with a plastic watering can-- and threw it at him. He lazily made his way up a tree. Shortly after, it seemed obvious that he shouldn't be out midday and that's a bad sign.
Oh my god! Yeah no, any coon that's out in broad daylight that doesn't seem to be afraid of anything is a very VERY bad sign. That's one of the biggest signs of rabies that any animal can show. I'm glad your neighbor got it, you might want to look into getting something just in case for predator control in case your neighbor isn't around.

Agree you need Varmint Rifle
get yourself a 30 odd 6 rifle
that way you can shoot it at 30 yards. but you need a varmint gun ,definitely. need a varmint gun.
And don't forget the NRA Safety Class . always a good thing

Last edited:
Just sold a baby goat. Seperating a Mom and her baby is tough. Last year, the doe I bred was such a terrible mother....when her babies left, she didn't even glance over her shoulder. I will write this one down in my file labeled: 'Farming is not for sissies'.

:hugs

No easy way to do it...it sucks. I can't even stand separating chicks till the hen finishes with them, so totally sympathize with the sucky feeling.
Sounds like time for a nice glass of home made brew.

Oh my god! Yeah no, any coon that's out in broad daylight that doesn't seem to be afraid of anything is a very VERY bad sign. That's one of the biggest signs of rabies that any animal can show. I'm glad your neighbor got it, you might want to look into getting something just in case for predator control in case your neighbor isn't around. 

Yeah, it took me a few min to process the significance... I was going to do whatever I needed to protect the chickens, lol. Most everyone around us seems to have shotguns, I need to learn to use one, first.

NW Pa. Jefferson Co. About 30 mi. north of Punxsutawney. IMHO, the groundhog sucks as a weatherman.

Last edited:
Yeah, it took me a few min to process the significance... I was going to do whatever I needed to protect the chickens, lol. Most everyone around us seems to have shotguns, I need to learn to use one, first.
It's alright, I never really knew about all that till my dad explained it to me one summer. But yes protect the chickens!! Depending on where you're located in our wonderful state your local gun club should have a gun safety course you can take. I know the NRA has educational programs out there, my mom was an instructor at one point. I think their website should have something? If you can't find any I would honestly start by asking your neighbor to show you how. I need to actually sort through the safe and pick out my varmit gun. We've got a lot to choose from, though I might just go with the classic .22 Magnum. That was Dad's long range groundhog gun. If all else fails and you can't seem to learn about guns/can't get one. There is another solution. It's gonna sound hilariously weird but I'm not joking.

You might want to look into a Spear. My Dad took down a rabid groundhog with this exact spear before. If that's a bit too much money they actually do have some cheaper options (I swear by Cold Steel, just saying).

Sorry if that's a bit extreme or too out there for you, but I am the one who's planning on putting in heavy duty hooks inside the coop so I can sleep in there with my hammock in case of critters....
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom