Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Just sold a baby goat. Seperating a Mom and her baby is tough. Last year, the doe I bred was such a terrible mother....when her babies left, she didn't even glance over her shoulder. I will write this one down in my file labeled: 'Farming is not for sissies'.

Wow I bet that was hard. I'm having a hard time hearing my big boy cry for his brother.

Ugh you should have reported her a long time ago. I'm sorry that they aren't doing too good... I hope they get better quickly. :hugs

Thanks. I feel bad because of the whole old enough to be my grandma thing but this is just so crappy I can't imagine whats happening to the ones we didnt buy. Found out he might be missing b vitamins and gave him a shot tonight so hopefully in 24 hrs he'll be a little less zoned out.

NW Pa. Jefferson Co. About 30 mi. north of Punxsutawney. IMHO, the groundhog sucks as a weatherman.

Welcome from Erie!

@Auroradream26 I candled a few eggs tonight. Im not completely sure what I'm looking for but I did see some veining and they weren't clear like a fresh egg I checked for comparison! And is it possible that I could see a chick moving in a banty egg almost halfway done or was it just from turning it?!?

Thanks. I feel bad because of the whole old enough to be my grandma thing but this is just so crappy I can't imagine whats happening to the ones we didnt buy. Found out he might be missing b vitamins and gave him a shot tonight so hopefully in 24 hrs he'll be a little less zoned out.
Welcome from Erie!

@Auroradream26 I candled a few eggs tonight. Im not completely sure what I'm looking for but I did see some veining and they weren't clear like a fresh egg I checked for comparison! And is it possible that I could see a chick moving in a banty egg almost halfway done or was it just from turning it?!?

Well the woman knows better. She could ask for help, or hire some help, or sell all of her animals. It's not ok to hoard animals and keep them in such horrid conditions. I hope you did call animal control and I hope they do something about it. I know it's hard but there are many little lives that deserve a better home.

When I checked my eggs, I could see movement in as soon as 10 days. You can see their hearts beating, and then when they develop more, you can see them squirm around. It's really cool!

Wow I bet that was hard. I'm having a hard time hearing my big boy cry for his brother.
Welcome from Erie!

If you saw veining, they should be good :) and a banty egg halfway done would definitely be moving around inside.

NW Pa. Jefferson Co. About 30 mi. north of Punxsutawney. IMHO, the groundhog sucks as a weatherman.

:welcome I'm in Clearfield county.

It's alright, I never really knew about all that till my dad explained it to me one summer. But yes protect the chickens!! Depending on where you're located in our wonderful state your local gun club should have a gun safety course you can take. I know the NRA has educational programs out there, my mom was an instructor at one point. I think their website should have something? If you can't find any I would honestly start by asking your neighbor to show you how. I need to actually sort through the safe and pick out my varmit gun. We've got a lot to choose from, though I might just go with the classic .22 Magnum. That was Dad's long range groundhog gun. If all else fails and you can't seem to learn about guns/can't get one. There is another solution. It's gonna sound hilariously weird but I'm not joking. 

You might want to look into a Spear. My Dad took down a rabid groundhog with this exact spear before. If that's a bit too much money they actually do have some cheaper options (I swear by Cold Steel, just saying). 

Sorry if that's a bit extreme or too out there for you, but I am the one who's planning on putting in heavy duty hooks inside the coop so I can sleep in there with my hammock in case of critters.... :oops:

:lol: I used to have a living room setup in the coop. Rug, chair, fridge, radio and a coffee table with farming magazines. Since last year I've been thinking about reclaiming the area, and hanging a hammock. I was thinking toddler swing, but she can use the hammock to swing.

If a half Marans half ameraucana that lays green eggs has a Marams mate, what color will that next gen lay? Niko is broody again so I am saving up an assortment of eggs for her.

Well the woman knows better. She could ask for help, or hire some help, or sell all of her animals. It's not ok to hoard animals and keep them in such horrid conditions. I hope you did call animal control and I hope they do something about it. I know it's hard but there are many little lives that deserve a better home. 

When I checked my eggs, I could see movement in as soon as 10 days. You can see their hearts beating, and then when they develop more, you can see them squirm around. It's really cool!

If you saw veining, they should be good :) and a banty egg halfway done would definitely be moving around inside.

Yay my first home grown babies!!! My other banty just went broody too I think. I found where she was hiding her eggs a week ago but two nights ago she finally stayed on it.

Does anyone hove bantam Silkie eggs? Preferably other then white?

If a half Marans half ameraucana that lays green eggs has a Marams mate, what color will that next gen lay? Niko is broody again so I am saving up an assortment of eggs for her.
Next gen will be unpredicatable, about half should lay some shade of green and the rest a dark brown (how dark is hard to guess).

Back
Top Bottom