Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

WP_20170517_20_17_14_Rich.jpg
WP_20170517_20_05_29_Rich.jpg
So it looks like my final hatch is 10 out of 14 that made it to lockdown. Pretty good, I think. I suspect my humidity may not have been high enough.

And my broodies have.... I have no idea ho many chicks they have. A whole lot.

Here is a pic of my turkey and chicken sharing chicks.... for now. Haha!

Also, I have noticed this weird but cool thing. @dheltzel @Auroradream26
My Tom turkey follows the meat chicks around all day. He just watches them and displays around them. He seems to be entertained. It's so funny! Has anyone else seen behavior like this? He wouldn't go into the coop tonight, until they did.

Well that placement didn't work well on my tablet, but you ge the idea!

My toms all seem so full of themselves that they will display and gobble for anyone or anything. I'm not surprised he's assumed the guardianship of those chicks, I think he just likes someone to pay attention to him.
IDK which is more vain, the toms or the peacocks. They all look good though, so it's understandable.

Sprinkles has taken a turn for the worse it seems :( I'm still praying that he'll pull through but it's not looking good right now. He can barely stay awake for more than a few seconds at a time. Everything I've fed him just seems to be sitting in his crop. I've been massaging it to try to push it through. I know it's not a blockage because it was competely empty when I started and I've feed him nothing but mush. I gave him 3 ml of saline solution subcutaneous out of desperation. I don't want to lose him. I may not have a choice in the matter though :(

My toms all seem so full of themselves that they will display and gobble for anyone or anything. I'm not surprised he's assumed the guardianship of those chicks, I think he just likes someone to pay attention to him.
IDK which is more vain, the toms or the peacocks. They all look good though, so it's understandable.

Haha! Good to know. It is just so funny! Hope he doesn't get too connected. The meat chickens won't be here for long. But there will be some turkey chicks hopefully in about a week!

Sprinkles has taken a turn for the worse it seems :( I'm still praying that he'll pull through but it's not looking good right now. He can barely stay awake for more than a few seconds at a time. Everything I've fed him just seems to be sitting in his crop. I've been massaging it to try to push it through. I know it's not a blockage because it was competely empty when I started and I've feed him nothing but mush. I gave him 3 ml of saline solution subcutaneous out of desperation. I don't want to lose him. I may not have a choice in the matter though :(

So sorry. I hope he makes it... :hugs

Sprinkles passed away in my arms 10 minutes ago. I'm heartbroken. Especially knowing that it was my fault that he got in to the condition he was in. I knew he wasn't happy about being out there and if I'd have taken time to make absolutely sure that he was eating and drinking, this never would've happened. I was so looking forward to seeing him grow up and he was such a sweetheart. He will be terribly missed.

Sprinkles passed away in my arms 10 minutes ago. I'm heartbroken. Especially knowing that it was my fault that he got in to the condition he was in. I knew he wasn't happy about being out there and if I'd have taken time to make absolutely sure that he was eating and drinking, this never would've happened. I was so looking forward to seeing him grow up and he was such a sweetheart. He will be terribly missed.
I'm so sorry!

I'm so sorry.... the guilt and questioning yourself is the hardest part of losing them IMO. I've been there, and it sucks. :hugs

So, hubs got the great idea to bring home several dozen pheasant eggs and an incubator from his friend's house a few weeks ago. I have no idea where he's planning on putting these birds (I think he thinks they can co-habitate with turkeys, but I'm doubtful). Anyway, I really hate the temperature adjustments on this incubator, I never know whether I'm turning it up or down, I just try and hope that I don't have to touch it at all. Well, the temp got down to 96 one day so hubs turned the thing a little so the light came on (meaning, the heat kicked on). The next day it was 104. I got it back down to 99 but I was not holding out much hope for these chicks that were supposed to hatch last Saturday. Saturday came and went with no sign of hatching. Sunday came and went, nothing.

Monday we started talking about how disappointed we were and then late at night we heard peeping. One chick started zipping and was hatched completely around midnight. So we had one bird, arranged to give it back to Hub's friend who also just hatched some. Tuesday night I peaked in the incubator and another started zipping! He didn't make much progress by morning though, so I chipped away at the shell and carefully clipped through the membrane. Very weak from working (unsuccessfully) all night, but is doing well now. Today... a full 4 days after hatch day, my daughter peeks in the incubator and exclaims that there is a THIRD chick in there - we never even saw it zip! It may have something weird going on with its bellybutton, but it seems to be doing okay. We've almost thrown these eggs away so many times in the last two days. So far we've gotten one chick per day... I'm wondering if we'll get another surprise tomorrow, lol.

*pictures later when I'm on my phone ;)

Pittsburgh peeps
:welcome
Hon, you didn't do anything wrong. It was just bad luck.
So, hubs got the great idea to bring home several dozen pheasant eggs and an incubator from his friend's house a few weeks ago. I have no idea where he's planning on putting these birds (I think he thinks they can co-habitate with turkeys, but I'm doubtful). Anyway, I really hate the temperature adjustments on this incubator, I never know whether I'm turning it up or down, I just try and hope that I don't have to touch it at all. Well, the temp got down to 96 one day so hubs turned the thing a little so the light came on (meaning, the heat kicked on). The next day it was 104. I got it back down to 99 but I was not holding out much hope for these chicks that were supposed to hatch last Saturday. Saturday came and went with no sign of hatching. Sunday came and went, nothing.

Monday we started talking about how disappointed we were and then late at night we heard peeping. One chick started zipping and was hatched completely around midnight. So we had one bird, arranged to give it back to Hub's friend who also just hatched some. Tuesday night I peaked in the incubator and another started zipping! He didn't make much progress by morning though, so I chipped away at the shell and carefully clipped through the membrane. Very weak from working (unsuccessfully) all night, but is doing well now. Today... a full 4 days after hatch day, my daughter peeks in the incubator and exclaims that there is a THIRD chick in there - we never even saw it zip! It may have something weird going on with its bellybutton, but it seems to be doing okay. We've almost thrown these eggs away so many times in the last two days. So far we've gotten one chick per day... I'm wondering if we'll get another surprise tomorrow, lol.

*pictures later when I'm on my phone ;)
Congrats on the hatch!
Never give up on hatch day. It can be a week before they hatch!
My first broody was due yesterday morning. Nothing yet. And she's been glued tight to the nest!

Back
Top Bottom