Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

We got back from vacation last night, came home a bit early. First thing I did was check on my flock, Haha! They were all fine, thankfully! My one bumblefoot girl still is having a swollen foot, but I will have time to attend to her again today.

Next, I came inside and checked my incubator. The humidity when I left was at 70%, it I think that was due to condensation around the sensor. Last night it was 30%, so I added some water. Hopefully I still can get a few to hatch, and at least one AC female.

You know you're a crazy chicken lady when you go on vacation and take pictures of other peoples chickens. These were other residents in the neighborhood, no one we knew. :cool:

Hoping to pick up midget white chicks today. :fl

On that note, could I just add a couple midget whites in the coop as I incorporate the others-- are they a calm temperament?

I didn't take your previous post as meaning the 4H processed birds but it is unfortunate that we now feel the need to clarify these things to avoid upsetting people. .... there is nothing wrong with processing birds and raising farm animals for meat is just a plain and simple fact of life....it is unfortunate that it has become a subject to apologize for or avoid.
And to those who think kids shouldn't be exposed to it I strongly disagree...raising animals for any reason should involve all aspects of the process, from birth to death (be it butcher or old age). Kids don't need to be forced to participate in something they aren't comfortable with, but should be given realistic and accurate information on the processes so they can make decisions based on reality, not hype or preconceived notions of others. Kudos to the 4H system for recognizing these issues and supporting the option of meat birds projects!

Interesting point that this has brought up. Since chickens have become a backyard animal & therefore a "pet" to many. With it, seems the line is difficult for some.

I saw a FB page this week that stated if you mention culling, butchering, or similar terms you would be banned. I was stunned (wasn't a silkie or show group).

When my kids were young, I took them to the supermarket and pointed out meet and said, "that's cow meat, pig meat...". It started because while breeding and showing rabbits, there was an issue with people condemning those for butchering rabbits for food. I wanted my kids to know where their food came from. Interesting that I was a vegan for 8 years.

So I soaked it and cut off scab. There was nothing under it. No pus at all and the scab was mor red then black. I wrapped her up and called it a night before cutting in more. The toe and pad are definitely swollen and its affecting her with a limp and she won't really move around. Should I dig into the hole I made? It Didnt look anything like any of the videos or pics. I was all ready to be grossed out and then nothing. I did have a helper (13 yr old daughter) and we wrapped her up in a towel. She didnt flinch when I cut into it.

How is she doing now? Is the swelling reduced?

Fantastic Job! I've seen worse (in pictures). The reason I thought a higher roost was at fault with my birds, was because of the large thud when they hit the floor of the coop when flying/falling from the roost (only 4 feet up) They were heavy birds and when I was putting feed out in the morning, a few would hang back not coming out when I opened the coop door. I thought someone was getting picked on but after I observed for a bit (and heard the thump), I did the math.

Thanks! She is doing very well I would say. She even laid an egg yesterday, which is surprising because she is also growing some feathers in as well.

Never tried that. Does frying a bug reduce it's nutritional value?
I've heard of someone who took a can of cat food, punched some holes in it and hung it high about the birds. The flies laid eggs there and the maggots dropped to the ground to pupate, becoming chicken dinner instead. Never tried it because I think the smell might not be appreciated.

I've heard of this too. I'm not brave enough to try it though.

This sounds like a plan for my Main Coop, it's right next to our buck pen, so I really don't see how it could smell any worse out there.

If you do this please let us know how it turns out.

On that note, could I just add a couple midget whites in the coop as I incorporate the others-- are they a calm temperament?

Yes, they do seem to be quite calm, but I'm not sure if that is all turkeys. My turkeys that hatched from my incubator and were hand raised are the friendliest of course. I do love the MWs. Their pure white feathers are lovely.

Interesting point that this has brought up. Since chickens have become a backyard animal & therefore a "pet" to many. With it, seems the line is difficult for some.

I saw a FB page this week that stated if you mention culling, butchering, or similar terms you would be banned. I was stunned (wasn't a silkie or show group).

When my kids were young, I took them to the supermarket and pointed out meet and said, "that's cow meat, pig meat...". It started because while breeding and showing rabbits, there was an issue with people condemning those for butchering rabbits for food. I wanted my kids to know where their food came from. Interesting that I was a vegan for 8 years.

That's crazy. Culling and euthanasia are a part of the process, though not very pleasant. Good for you for educating you children.

Everyone was talking about bumble foot not long ago and I was thankful that I haven't had to deal with it in a while. Well, I was watching the flock this morning and my new cochin girl was limping. After checking her foot, I realized that she had it :/ thankfully it wasn't hard to get out. The big, pointy, kernel popped right out when I removed the scab and squeezed and only took a tiny bit of work with the tweezers to get remnants out. She seemed to thoroughly enjoy the warm bath she got lol. She's still limping with the bandage on her foot bit in a day or two, I guarantee she'll be happier.

I'm surprised by "cull" being offensive. I will be the first to admit that we all use the word inappropriately. To cull is simply to separate something out. "America's Got Talent" has been culling people for years!

Shes still swollen. Not sure what to do. I was going through my flock today dusting/worming and found 3 girls with scabs on there feet. One looks like normal pics of bumble foot. Swollen, black and gross. Going to deal with that one in a little bit.

I'm surprised by "cull" being offensive. I will be the first to admit that we all use the word inappropriately. To cull is simply to separate something out. "America's Got Talent" has been culling people for years!
That's true! Remember 'The Gong Show'? Lol

I have found loads of maggots in wet manure too, the chickens love to pick through that.

I think if I chose to Add any Manure instead of Subtract it, my husband would have me committed. We do use spent hay from the goats in the runs -they pick out all of the flower heads that the goats miss.

Back
Top Bottom