Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Wow! Very nice coop and a great name to boot! If it's just for meat birds why the gen house, will it be used for a laying coop after?
Thanks everyone! We want it to be flexible. Plan on breeding a few breeds next year and thought these would work for sperating the flock too. Its over built but were going to put clear sheating roof and hubs made removable walls for winter storage too. I still need to put hardware cloth on the sides and the house would need to get closed up if we used it during cold weather.

So I got some Silkies from an auction. They are in quarantine for like a week now. The second or third day they were here they started sneezing a little and have brownish snot around edge of nose. Do I need to cull them? I haven't shown any signs of being sick otherwise and look and act super healthy.

Do you guys know how young you can/should worm chickens? I'm doing the rest of my flock and I'm not sure if I can or should do them as well.
Oh and we finished the meat locker!View attachment 1109267 View attachment 1109269 well almost finished.
I don't worm regularly. Wazine is the only wormer that I've seen specifically for chickens that may have directions and dosage on the bottle (although we've used Ivermectin Cattle Pour On and Valbezene). Meat Coop looks GREAT!!
:eek: Did you just call me old?! :old:old
I mean, I've seen it, but ... :oops:
:old:old

If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck... :oops:

View attachment 1109090 Watching "chicken TV" with the boys.

SO Sweet!! And I love the use of feed bags. Great Repurposing.

Thanks everyone! We want it to be flexible. Plan on breeding a few breeds next year and thought these would work for sperating the flock too. Its over built but were going to put clear sheating roof and hubs made removable walls for winter storage too. I still need to put hardware cloth on the sides and the house would need to get closed up if we used it during cold weather.

So I got some Silkies from an auction. They are in quarantine for like a week now. The second or third day they were here they started sneezing a little and have brownish snot around edge of nose. Do I need to cull them? I haven't shown any signs of being sick otherwise and look and act super healthy.
Don't kill 'em yet. Is there enough room and airflow in quarantine? It could simply be dust, feed dust, or an allergy to the bedding.
Try some Vet Rx. It's like Vicks, only totally safe. You can put it in their water, under their wings, and a drop on their beak.
In the water, it is able to get into their nostrils when they drink. Under their wings, they will breathe it in when they sleep.
I don't worm regularly. Wazine is the only wormer that I've seen specifically for chickens that may have directions and dosage on the bottle (although we've used Ivermectin Cattle Pour On and Valbezene). Meat Coop looks GREAT!!

If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck... :oops:
:lau

Barb. I am still thinking girl. 20170813_184240.jpg 20170813_184226.jpg 20170813_184217.jpg

Attachments

• 20170813_184212.jpg
    20170813_184212.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 1109090 Watching "chicken TV" with the boys.

Love it! What a great design! I may have to make one like it. The boys look very happy!

Do you guys know how young you can/should worm chickens? I'm doing the rest of my flock and I'm not sure if I can or should do them as well.
Oh and we finished the meat locker!View attachment 1109267 View attachment 1109269 well almost finished.

That's incredible. I wish I had someone to teach me how to build like that!

X2 with the Vetrx. That stuff is a lifesaver, and not expensive either. Tractor supply always carries it.
Let us know how it goes!

Howdy yawl, nother Pennsylvanian joining the group. Armstrong County. 12 ladies (various breeds) and a Buff Roo.

Welcome!

@Auroradream26 I just went up to candle the eggs before I removed the turner and put them into lockdown. The I heard peeps and saw internal pipping! Then when I flicked on the lights I saw an external pip on two of them. Yikes! I must have had my days screwed up. It looks like the AC died in the shell however, so sorry. :(

And when I checked the humidity it was at 30%! Arg! I will check it in an hour to make sure it's up pretty darn high. It must have been because we had the AirC on that is dried everything out. I have been in bed for the whole weekend. First I got a bad case of poison ivy, then my back was giving me trouble, then yesterday I stepped on a bee. Haha. Will keep you posted on the chicks... fingers crossed!

My two broody girls will be so happy to have some chickies finally! My Silkie is so old do I will have to watch her carefully.

Howdy yawl, nother Pennsylvanian joining the group. Armstrong County. 12 ladies (various breeds) and a Buff Roo.

Welcome from Cambria county!

@Auroradream26 I just went up to candle the eggs before I removed the turner and put them into lockdown. The I heard peeps and saw internal pipping! Then when I flicked on the lights I saw an external pip on two of them. Yikes! I must have had my days screwed up. It looks like the AC died in the shell however, so sorry. :(

And when I checked the humidity it was at 30%! Arg! I will check it in an hour to make sure it's up pretty darn high. It must have been because we had the AirC on that is dried everything out. I have been in bed for the whole weekend. First I got a bad case of poison ivy, then my back was giving me trouble, then yesterday I stepped on a bee. Haha. Will keep you posted on the chicks... fingers crossed!

My two broody girls will be so happy to have some chickies finally! My Silkie is so old do I will have to watch her carefully.

Oh no! It happens though. I use the hatch a batch app to keep my hatches organized and get reminders to lockdown and everything. I had my own incubator issue the other day. Came home from a family reunion to find that an egg went bad and broke in the bator. The room finally doesn't sink anymore but the bator does :/ YUCK! We'll 3 try again with the AC in the spring. Maybe I'll be able to send some chicks on the chicken train.

I'm sorry about your weekend, it sounds awful! My mom gets poison ivy really bad. I'm amazed (and thankful) that I haven't gotten it at all this year (yet). My back stated giving me trouble yesterday too. It's even worse this morning. My bulldog mix was having trouble with her joints this weekend and couldn't get up on her own so we've been carrying her outside and back in every time she needs out and she's a solid dog. I think she's the reason I can't move now but at least she's finally feeling good enough to hobble out and back in on her own lol.

anybody recommend one bred of turkeys over another? Thinking of picking up a couple or three, damn chicken math!

Most heritage turkeys are basically the same (unless you go for midgets or palms since they tend to be a bit smaller). Pretty much find the color you like and go from there. If you think chicken math is bad, just wait until the turkey math really starts! My origional plan was only about 4-5 turkeys. I have 10 adults and 6 littles right now lol

Speaking of turkeys, @MotorcycleChick , Sabrina is out with the flock now. She's still finding her place but she's doing good. I'll try to get a picture for you later on. She went in with everyone at bedtime with no issues last night and came out with everyone for breakfast this morning so I think she's pretty content. She'll be happier once she makes a couple friends.

Back
Top Bottom