Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Did you process the CX yourself? I am going to process my scrawny CCL Roos in a month or so, and I want to do the whole thing by myself. I can do it!

Yep, I did them by myself. I don't bug hubby to help anymore unless we have a lot to do. They were BIG! This is a large dog crate.

IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2393.JPG

It actualy took 5, 1 gallon zip lock bags just to fit everything from the 2 big CX!

One more post! Just had to share these pics of my bantam Langshan duo from @msladyhawke . Batman is so stunning, and I think he and Robin were posing today. He has the most intense green sheen on his feathers. Highly recommend this breed. All the chickens and turkeys love this boulder. There is someone on it daily, usually in the morning. Oh yes, and in the first pic, he is crowing!

View attachment 1136251

View attachment 1136252

Gorgeous pictures and such a great place to get good pics of the birds!

@Auroradream26 Wow, those are some big suckers. How did you say you dispatch again? Broomstick? How old were they?

@dheltzel The Bielefelder girls are doing well, although they are all starting to molt. Look at this poor gal! They are enjoying foraging, and thankfully the Bielefelder Roo has taken them as his own. Him and Batman, the bantam Langshan; but I'm pretty sure Batman has been chased away.

WP_20170913_08_53_58_Pro.jpg

Aurora, any idea on this chick? Slate/blue-green feathered legs, looks like maybe a small crest forming too. It's so unique! The other chicks are pictured below. I think we will probably have to wait until they get bigger to make guesses.

WP_20170913_19_37_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20170912_08_22_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20170913_19_37_38_Pro.jpg

@Auroradream26 Wow, those are some big suckers. How did you say you dispatch again? Broomstick? How old were they?

@dheltzel The Bielefelder girls are doing well, although they are all starting to molt. Look at this poor gal! They are enjoying foraging, and thankfully the Bielefelder Roo has taken them as his own. Him and Batman, the bantam Langshan; but I'm pretty sure Batman has been chased away.

View attachment 1136514

Aurora, any idea on this chick? Slate/blue-green feathered legs, looks like maybe a small crest forming too. It's so unique! The other chicks are pictured below. I think we will probably have to wait until they get bigger to make guesses.

View attachment 1136512 View attachment 1136513 View attachment 1136510

The meaties were 7 months old and yes I used the broomstick method. I had a few stocks that I usually use for smaller cockerels but when I tried using one on Cap'n, he just snapped the stick. I had to go get an actual broomstick lol.

That baby is most likely a silkie cross dad could be welbar, CCL, ayam cemani (only if the legs are REALLY dark), crele orpington, or maybe Lavender ameraucana. It looks like the rest of them have bright yellow legs which means dad is most likely welbar, CCL or crele orpington.

One more post! Just had to share these pics of my bantam Langshan duo from @msladyhawke . Batman is so stunning, and I think he and Robin were posing today. He has the most intense green sheen on his feathers. Highly recommend this breed. All the chickens and turkeys love this boulder. There is someone on it daily, usually in the morning. Oh yes, and in the first pic, he is crowing!

View attachment 1136251

View attachment 1136252

beautiful birds!

:frow Those hawks are so persistent. Do you have a Roo? They are amazing at watching the skies...

One hawk has been in our trees every morning and I have to wait until nearly 9am to let the chickens out. Yesterday I saw a really scrawny fox running through my front yard at about 10am. I screamed at it and thankfully it turned and left. So frustrated with the predators lately...

I have 2 roos. One is huge and mean so he will be culled soon. The other one is a smaller barred rock but he isn't too good at protecting the girls. At least he doesn't attack us...

The only problem I have with the barred rock roo is that he is constantly trying to mate with the girls. The hens have learned to run to my side when he is chasing them because I will throw something at him to make him stop it!

View attachment 1136251

View attachment 1136252

GORGEOUS! :love

I have some hens with the runs, if I give them corid do I have to pitch the eggs or are they still going to be good to eat?

I don't believe so. I currently have my little flock on Corid and had casportpony help me out with all this.... No egg withdrawal with Corid. :thumbsup

I figured the seasonal change could delay things by a few weeks. Or are we talking no eggs until March of 2018?

Maybe January, all depends. When there is more sunlight, that will cue them into laying again. You can also put a light on timer, that will make them lay sooner. For right now when they are molting, just try to give them some extra protein and treats.

Back
Top Bottom