Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I posted this across on the diseases forum too, can anyone here confirm if this is bumblefoot please?

It’s small compared to what aim seeing on YouTube and there’s no scab to cut around.

View attachment 1193634 View attachment 1193635

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here’s a movie of my pullet. She stands up okay, then can’t seem to pick up her leg to walk. Any diagnosis and or treatment advice appreciated.

Last edited:
@dheltzel are you going to breed the leghorns you got few months back? I don’t want white and those are easy to find. I lost 4 of 5 to predators and 1 to neighbor dog. Seemed like the predators were definitely drawn to their white. But I want white layers.

Batman got separated from the flock. The boys were ruthless in their chasing him. But the peace in the chicken yard is awesome. I don’t have to carry a stick anymore. The girls all run up to me again. He should have been removed a while ago.

Another pullet is laying...brown. Boring brown. Makes me even more annoyed about the Sapphire dying. My CCL pullet hasn’t laid yet and my CL hen is probably on hiatus till spring. At least I’m getting one olive pullet egg and one EE egg to add variety. Might be time to try leghorns again. Just not white ones

Were th white ones flighty? My broody is sitting on white leghorn eggs right now. I’m okay if they’re a little wonky.

Here’s a movie of my pullet. She stands up okay, then can’t seem to pick up her leg to walk. Any diagnosis and or treatment advice appreciated.

That is strange. It looks more like a hip or joint problem though. It doesn’t look like any of the bubmblefoot cases that I have seen. She is definitely getting harassed by the other girls. Can you put her in a critter crate in an unheated garage or basement? I think she is bad enough to keep her isolated so that you can monitor her more and see that she is getting enough to eat. Glad to see she is pooping okay though! :lol:

When my girls got bumble foot, they would hold the leg up, and not run away until the last minute. It looks like your girl is really not able to put any weight on that leg. Please keep us posted. That video was very helpful.

Hey everybody, just made a simple project today that will hopefully save me some feed. There are several videos on YouTube, but it is simply cutting holes into a trashcan, and then inserting a 3-5" 45 degree PVC piece. I thought there would be a learning curve, but my turkeys checked it right out, and all the other followed suit. Also, remember to elevate it. I just need to use some silicone around the PVC, and make some caps for the ends.

Hope this helps!

WP_20171126_13_32_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20171126_14_41_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20171126_13_31_10_Pro.jpg

I think she has a joint problem, not bumblefoot. Looks like she did something to hip or knee. She should be isolated in a small enough area she can't move around much with water and food within reach. Allow her to rest the leg and reevaluate her mobility after a couple of days, if no improvement you may have to make some hard choices.

Were th white ones flighty? My broody is sitting on white leghorn eggs right now. I’m okay if they’re a little wonky.

That is strange. It looks more like a hip or joint problem though. It doesn’t look like any of the bubmblefoot cases that I have seen. She is definitely getting harassed by the other girls. Can you put her in a critter crate in an unheated garage or basement? I think she is bad enough to keep her isolated so that you can monitor her more and see that she is getting enough to eat. Glad to see she is pooping okay though! :lol:

When my girls got bumble foot, they would hold the leg up, and not run away until the last minute. It looks like your girl is really not able to put any weight on that leg. Please keep us posted. That video was very helpful.

We have raised white leghorns for a friend, bright, first at the food tub or treats, flighty and escape artists, preferred roosting in the pine tree over the coop and always acted like we were killing them if we picked them up. Was very glad when they went to their permanent home.

Hey everybody, just made a simple project today that will hopefully save me some feed. There are several videos on YouTube, but it is simply cutting holes into a trashcan, and then inserting a 3-5" 45 degree PVC piece. I thought there would be a learning curve, but my turkeys checked it right out, and all the other followed suit. Also, remember to elevate it. I just need to use some silicone around the PVC, and make some caps for the ends.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 1196665

View attachment 1196666

View attachment 1196667

This is great! May be making a few of our own in the very near future. Thanks for the pictures.

They were escape artists. They would be out of the chicken yard eveyday. But ultimately I think their color attracted the predators to them. They are great layers which is why we had gotten them. It was disappointing to lose them all. But at the time my neighbor had 4 so we had their eggs. But they moved. :(

Thanks @AnneInTheBurbs, have you had a hip or joint problem in your flock?

I’ll give her time in isolation with food and water and see if she gets better.

3E2B5A88-DC5F-478E-9A6E-253C772D8D70.jpeg

Hope this helps!

View attachment 1196665

View attachment 1196666

View attachment 1196667

I use the same method with 5 gallon buckets. most online guides recommend a 3” PVC but I found they had enough space to slosh food around and out onto the floor so I experimented and settled on a 2” 90 degree street elbow. Works great and zero feed waste.

Now I just need to figure out a better method than a traffic cone to stop them walking on top of the buckets.

@dheltzel are you going to breed the leghorns you got few months back? I don’t want white and those are easy to find. I lost 4 of 5 to predators and 1 to neighbor dog. Seemed like the predators were definitely drawn to their white. But I want white layers.
I am working with several white egg layers. The California Greys are phenomenal layers, and being black barred, are probably the most predator resistant color. I hope to have chicks from my Mille Fleur Leghorns and Norwegian Jaerhons also. These are untested in my flock and so far I can't recommend them over the CG's, but the MF Leghorns are pretty. All are calmer than white leghorns, not sure if I can say one breed is better than the others in that regard, yet.

I am working with several white egg layers. The California Greys are phenomenal layers, and being black barred, are probably the most predator resistant color. I hope to have chicks from my Mille Fleur Leghorns and Norwegian Jaerhons also. These are untested in my flock and so far I can't recommend them over the CG's, but the MF Leghorns are pretty. All are calmer than white leghorns, not sure if I can say one breed is better than the others in that regard, yet.

I just wanted to pop in and say I love the Calis. They are serious egg producers, and very good as far as personality too. They are no super friendly per se, although I got mine when they were probably about 3 months old. But they are very inquisitive and first in line for treats, even though they are a smaller bird. They are very pretty too. I'd definitely get more. :thumbsup

BTW, @dheltzel , the Bielefelder girls are all doing very well. They seem happy in their new environment, and are so calm and quiet. The only problem is, I can't tell my original Bielefelder Helga, from the new ones. Haha! They all hang out together now. They even perch together with the Biele Roo. Hopefully, I will be able to finish a breeding pen by the spring and they will crank out a couple eggs for me.

Back
Top Bottom