Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

@MotorcycleChick @Auroradream26 What's the deal with ducks please? As far as their care, housing etc. I am only set up for chickens and turkeys now, but someone on Craiglist is looking to rehome 3 chickens and 2 Muscovy Hens. Can I house them with the chickens? Do they need separate food?

I'm hesitant about taking them, but if its temporary, maybe.

I just wanted to pop in and say I love the Calis. They are serious egg producers, and very good as far as personality too. They are no super friendly per se, although I got mine when they were probably about 3 months old. But they are very inquisitive and first in line for treats, even though they are a smaller bird. They are very pretty too. I'd definitely get more. :thumbsup

BTW, @dheltzel , the Bielefelder girls are all doing very well. They seem happy in their new environment, and are so calm and quiet. The only problem is, I can't tell my original Bielefelder Helga, from the new ones. Haha! They all hang out together now. They even perch together with the Biele Roo. Hopefully, I will be able to finish a breeding pen by the spring and they will crank out a couple eggs for me.
I saw a FB post today with someone selling their Biefefelder flock. Eight hens and a roo. I’m pretty sure he’s down the road from me. Any interest ?!:lol:

I am working with several white egg layers. The California Greys are phenomenal layers, and being black barred, are probably the most predator resistant color. I hope to have chicks from my Mille Fleur Leghorns and Norwegian Jaerhons also. These are untested in my flock and so far I can't recommend them over the CG's, but the MF Leghorns are pretty. All are calmer than white leghorns, not sure if I can say one breed is better than the others in that regard, yet.
Do you have any laying or ready to lay pullets CGs you’d part with??

@MotorcycleChick @Auroradream26 What's the deal with ducks please? As far as their care, housing etc. I am only set up for chickens and turkeys now, but someone on Craiglist is looking to rehome 3 chickens and 2 Muscovy Hens. Can I house them with the chickens? Do they need separate food?

I'm hesitant about taking them, but if its temporary, maybe.

My muscovies live in the coop with the chickens with no problem. The thing about Muscovies is that they're happy to free range most of the day. Mine only get in the little tub of water I have out in the yard maybe once a day.

I'm doing a little flock subtraction this Saturday. 7 of my birds are going off to a new home. All of the ayam cemani and 1 Silkie roo. I like the ayam cemani but they hardly ever lay and are broody all the time. The silkie roo is lucking out and heading to a home with a bunch of silkies to breed with :)

@MotorcycleChick @Auroradream26 What's the deal with ducks please? As far as their care, housing etc. I am only set up for chickens and turkeys now, but someone on Craiglist is looking to rehome 3 chickens and 2 Muscovy Hens. Can I house them with the chickens? Do they need separate food?.
Adults are fine on layer feed. It’s ducklings that need extra niacin. Mine are together too. Deep litter doesn’t work too well because they poop liquid, and keep water bowls outside or with a brick in it.
They do need water to eat with (get the food wet) and to wash their nostrils out. I like plastic coffee cans or milk jugs with a hole in the side (Sally Sunshine has pictures).

Do you have any laying or ready to lay pullets CGs you’d part with??
None right now. I plan to hatch more in the spring, as long as my only roo survives. Today I lost my last Mille Fleur Leghorn cockerel. I have a few eggs to incubate, but they are frustrating me. Of all the chicks I bought this year, the only ones that have done well are the Penedesencas from a hatchery. All the chicks from breeders have mostly perished. Seems likely my 2018 selection will be worse than this year, not an improvement.

I'm doing a little flock subtraction this Saturday. 7 of my birds are going off to a new home. All of the ayam cemani and 1 Silkie roo. I like the ayam cemani but they hardly ever lay and are broody all the time. The silkie roo is lucking out and heading to a home with a bunch of silkies to breed with :)
I think the Cemani's are over-hyped. If you want to have your chickens pay their way, I think you should focus on Legbars and (to a lesser extent) Welbars.

None right now. I plan to hatch more in the spring, as long as my only roo survives. Today I lost my last Mille Fleur Leghorn cockerel. I have a few eggs to incubate, but they are frustrating me. Of all the chicks I bought this year, the only ones that have done well are the Penedesencas from a hatchery. All the chicks from breeders have mostly perished. Seems likely my 2018 selection will be worse than this year, not an improvement.
Sorry to hear you lost the Mille Fleur cockerel. Are there any breeders in Pa or nearby states that you could work with?

Back
Top Bottom