Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

SO I have a dilemma...

I live in the countryside, but I rent a house. The landlords are my grandparents. My grandpa loves the chickens, yet my grandmother doesn't. So they agreed on a 12-chicken max for us. We have 13. Plus 6 chicks from TSC. Plus I found out my neighbor is willing to sell 4 more hens to us. SO how do I make 23 chickens look like only 12...
:oops:
I think I need to decide between keeping 6 chicks or selling them to get the 4 hens from the neighbor. Our coop is 4x8 with an add-on for nesting boxes. Our chickens seem to fit in fine but I don't think 23 will. :(

SO I have a dilemma...

I live in the countryside, but I rent a house. The landlords are my grandparents. My grandpa loves the chickens, yet my grandmother doesn't. So they agreed on a 12-chicken max for us. We have 13. Plus 6 chicks from TSC. Plus I found out my neighbor is willing to sell 4 more hens to us. SO how do I make 23 chickens look like only 12...
I think I need to decide between keeping 6 chicks or selling them to get the 4 hens from the neighbor. Our coop is 4x8 with an add-on for nesting boxes. Our chickens seem to fit in fine but I don't think 23 will. :(
If you had a coop three times the size, I could tell you how to hide them. As it is, you might decide to sell the chicks, and refuse the hens. Though I’d choose hens over chicks. No waiting for eggs! :celebrate

no, we live in pa from april to dec. and in florida from dec. to april. had to give up my brahmas and mini horses altho i did keep a few cochin bantams, have to pay the granddaughter to take care of the chickens, and believe me, she ain't cheap but had to keep off here til i got over giving up my chickens, i do love my feathers
we now have a small pig that comes with us along with our dogs and a congo grey, husband is a saint lol but will be on here more now that i've settled down on missing my chickens

no, we live in pa from april to dec. and in florida from dec. to april. had to give up my brahmas and mini horses altho i did keep a few cochin bantams, have to pay the granddaughter to take care of the chickens, and believe me, she ain't cheap but had to keep off here til i got over giving up my chickens, i do love my feathers
we now have a small pig that comes with us along with our dogs and a congo grey, husband is a saint lol but will be on here more now that i've settled down on missing my chickens

Sorry you had to scale back, and I can understand staying away from the temptation, lol. But glad to see you back.
Yep, your husband is a keeper to go along with the menagerie, lol. I won't even mention mini pig to mine for fear he would end up with 2 of them! He is worse than I am with critters and that is saying something, lol.

Hey guys, asking this for my cousin. She had a fox attack the other day, and her Roo showed up that night, but in poor shape. The poor guy does not seem to lift his head much at all. He was clearly grabbed at the neck, and probably shaken around. He only seems to have a couple of puncture wounds on his neck. Do you guys think he will make it, or should he be euthanized? We do not believe his neck is broken, just badly bruised. Sorry for the graphic pictures, hope no one was eating!

*Edited to add, he did want to eat, when we put a small dish down on the floor for him.

WP_20180317_18_47_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20180317_18_47_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20180317_18_46_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20180317_18_46_50_Pro.jpg

SO I have a dilemma...

Yes, you need to make a descision... and I don't think you have the space to keep more than the dozen you were supposed to stay with anyway. A 32 square foot coop is adequate for 8-15 max, based on the commonly recommended 2 to 4 sq ft per bird... overcrowding will cause problems in the long run.
Decide what direction you want to go with your birds, a particular egg color(s)? Meat? Yard candy? ...and go from there. Decide which birds you have that fit your needs, sell any which don't fit (chick or adult) and replace as you have room.
I might seem harsh, but in the best interest of flock happiness (room restriction) and respect for landlords wishes I think you need to put those issues first.

Hey guys, asking this for my cousin. She had a fox attack the other day, and her Roo showed up that night, but in poor shape. The poor guy does not seem to lift his head much at all. He was clearly grabbed at the neck, and probably shaken around. He only seems to have a couple of puncture wounds on his neck. Do you guys think he will make it, or should he be euthanized? We do not believe his neck is broken, just badly bruised. Sorry for the graphic pictures, hope no one was eating!

*Edited to add, he did want to eat, when we put a small dish down on the floor for him.

View attachment 1300437

View attachment 1300438

View attachment 1300439

View attachment 1300440

If he made it back under his own power I think he deserves a day or 2 of TLC before deciding. Bruising around the neck would be very restrictive and uncomfortable.
I would give time a quiet cage in a warmer than outside area but not main house warm...maybe a basement or garage? And give him soft foods which are easy to swallow but not prone to being clumpy or pasty. A few drops of vitamins would be good in his water also.
He will show his mettle in a day or two as the initial shock passes and if no improvement you can euthanize him then if a downturn or failure to improve.

Back
Top Bottom