Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have heard stories about mean tom turkeys, but I can't wrap my hear around that after keeping them for years. The hens are more "ferocious" than the toms, they want to be hand fed so much they will peck at anything you seem to be offering them, shoes, fingers, etc. but it is entirely a feeding response. The toms are too busy showing off to do anything about the people in their pen. My tom turkeys are much more vain than the peacocks in the next pen. The saying should be "proud as a tom turkey", but that doesn't roll off the tongue as well.
Benjamin Franklin considered a turkey to be a much more noble bird than a bald eagle. They certainly make better pets!

I have heard stories about mean tom turkeys, but I can't wrap my hear around that after keeping them for years. The hens are more "ferocious" than the toms, they want to be hand fed so much they will peck at anything you seem to be offering them, shoes, fingers, etc. but it is entirely a feeding response. The toms are too busy showing off to do anything about the people in their pen. My tom turkeys are much more vain than the peacocks in the next pen. The saying should be "proud as a tom turkey", but that doesn't roll off the tongue as well.
Benjamin Franklin considered a turkey to be a much more noble bird than a bald eagle. They certainly make better pets!
Luther was a piece of work. He never bothered our neighbor, just anyone who came to visit. On the plus side, people like salesmen would never get out of their car.

:oops: I can’t sleep.
53949BF7-EFC2-4046-930E-5CEF72BDFA01.gif

The animals are asleep.
58C2FF9C-9B60-451F-A7E4-CF2516989C45.gif

The voices are keeping me up.
4AF6ACC0-8EEF-4888-8594-CC8B16787746.gif

I will try again.
918674B9-4122-4274-8645-44C1C54610CC.gif

Which one should I eat first?
View attachment 1675388

Haha, the one that you like least and crows the most!

I do not. I grew up next to turkeys, no thank you. They were mean.

I had 1 mean turkey, he was a great Thanksgiving dinner! He was also the only one that we got from someone else and didn't hand raise. I have not had an aggressive turkey since. Honestly, the most aggressive they are is arguing over who gets to sit on my lap! Romeo, one of my toms, gets so excited to see me when I bring the food in everyday that he cries. Even my broody hens are gentle and allow us to handle their babies. The hen in the picture is Cuddles with my son. She demands hugs every night before bed. Lately, she's been dropping to the floor in front of me expecting to be bred lol. She stands up as soon as one the boys tries!

IMG_20180330_202340.jpg

They were the wrong kind of turkeys. Mine are all docile and follow me around begging for food.

X2!

Haha, the one that you like least and crows the most!

I had 1 mean turkey, he was a great Thanksgiving dinner! He was also the only one that we got from someone else and didn't hand raise. I have not had an aggressive turkey since. Honestly, the most aggressive they are is arguing over who gets to sit on my lap! Romeo, one of my toms, gets so excited to see me when I bring the food in everyday that he cries. Even my broody hens are gentle and allow us to handle their babies. The hen in the picture is Cuddles with my son. She demands hugs every night before bed. Lately, she's been dropping to the floor in front of me expecting to be bred lol. She stands up as soon as one the boys tries!

View attachment 1676104

X2!
The out come of yesterdays photo assault is that my wife wants to move to a farm, thank you all. :he

She wants to raise everything now, mini cows, goats, turkeys, all of them. I've never been more glad to have small yard!

The out come of yesterdays photo assault is that my wife wants to move to a farm, thank you all. :he

She wants to raise everything now, mini cows, goats, turkeys, all of them. I've never been more glad to have small yard!

Small yard is great for small animals lol. @memphis has a pair of turkey hens in the suburbs of Memphis who are neighborhood celebrities! You should hop on over to the Century of turkey talk thread. Her stories crack us all up!

PS, I have turkey poults available now, already started on the friendly part lol

Back
Top Bottom