Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Update on my first ever hatch: 9/13 chickens hatched (One quit early, and 3 weren't fertilized/never got started.) All the non-starters were from Spelke, the copper marans, so I am wondering if Adam is giving her enough attention. She is a feisty gal, and he has reason to be cautious. Also, we had an 8 hour power outage in the middle of incubation (perhaps day 14), and one chick was born with strattled legs. I tried putting a pony tail holder on that, but it did not hold little chicken legs.

Question: the one with the white dot on his head at the bottom of this picture -- is that a boy (came out of a Dennis Olive-egger.)

View attachment 2508148

Also as you see I did get 1 lavender chick! I was hoping for 2, but 1/5 is pretty close to odds ratio expectations.
View attachment 2508152
I'm in love with that one -- hope she's a girl.
The one with a white head spot is probably a boy. In a few days, they will start to get wing feathers growing in. Look for white stripes on those feathers, they are the boys. Solid black feathered chicks from the barred pullets (Welbars, Legbars, Olive Eggers) are definite females.

For the chick with leg issues, use a band-aid, cut in half lengthwise to make it narrower. Have someone hold the chick with legs at normal spacing, then apply the bandaid to hold the legs at that spacing. Still not a great prognosis for that chick, but it might work.

Update on my first ever hatch: 9/13 chickens hatched (One quit early, and 3 weren't fertilized/never got started.) All the non-starters were from Spelke, the copper marans, so I am wondering if Adam is giving her enough attention. She is a feisty gal, and he has reason to be cautious. Also, we had an 8 hour power outage in the middle of incubation (perhaps day 14), and one chick was born with strattled legs. I tried putting a pony tail holder on that, but it did not hold little chicken legs.

Question: the one with the white dot on his head at the bottom of this picture -- is that a boy (came out of a Dennis Olive-egger.)

View attachment 2508148

Also as you see I did get 1 lavender chick! I was hoping for 2, but 1/5 is pretty close to odds ratio expectations.
View attachment 2508152
I'm in love with that one -- hope she's a girl.

Those are the cutest things ever. I've never hatched eggs myself, but those pics make me want to so badly!

Well if you live close enough to me, you can have this amazing cuteness for your very own tomorrow. I only want to keep 3, so I have 6 to give away.
And then you will hatch some more, keep 2 because "they are special colors, and so cute" and give away the rest. Rinse and repeat -- by August you will have 13 chickens and wonder how this happened . . .

At least your friends here will understand and not judge you.

Splay leg is actually rather easy to treat, I get it sometimes with my Silkie/Cochin hybrids. Get some VetWrap, it’s designed to stick to itself and not skin or feathers, cut a strip 1/4” wide x 1 1/2” long and wrap the 2 ends around baby’s legs leaving the feet shoulder-width apart. Leave it on a week. Works like a charm, by the time they grow out of it you’d never know they had trouble.

Adorable chicks!!❤️

Splay leg is actually rather easy to treat, I get it sometimes with my Silkie/Cochin hybrids. Get some VetWrap, it’s designed to stick to itself and not skin or feathers, cut a strip 1/4” wide x 1 1/2” long and wrap the 2 ends around baby’s legs leaving the feet shoulder-width apart.

Is vetwrap any different from coban? Because I tried coban but the little chick got it off. Then I tried the bandaid and the chick just cried and cried and couldn't walk at all.

Back
Top Bottom