Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Its true with regards to Raw honey, it really makes a difference from store brought that has be pasteurized and killed off the natural enzyme's, I have 2 hives I keep and average about 9 to 10 gallons of honey I sell to neighbors and co-workers. Also as mentioned earlier, for us bee keepers up here in the North, we are just getting started with opening up the hives and getting ready for the season, typically I do not harvest honey till around late mid August.

Wingstone,

Give these folks a call. The Honeybee Shop, 141 N Colebrook Rd Manheim, PA 17545-8213 Phone

(717) 665-4350

I know they still had wildflower honey left by the end of the Farm Show. Whether they still do now, can't say.

I think that when a lot of folks think of 'raw' honey, they often mean 'unprocessed'. Think of the kind from the health food store that's called Really Raw honey IIRC, that has bits of wax in it and is usually crystallized. Maybe even a bee leg or 2.
ep.gif

Most honey is strained, and the size of the mesh in the strainer determine how much pollen is left in the finished honey. So even though it is technically 'raw' as in unheated, it can have a lot of the pollen strained out of it, making it look clearer and more 'processed'.

for those that know where i am at, this is only 10 minutes north...
It really does make a difference when you can find it raw, well worth the search.....i have bought lots in stores that say it's raw but surely does not taste like it.....
If I can not find the wildflower honey locally raw, any suggestions on what would be closest besides the clover.

It would depend on how strong of a flavor you like in your honey. A good rule is the darker the color of the honey the more intense the flavor and the lighter the honey the lighter the flavor. Buckwheat honey is very dark and has a molasses like flavor. A nice light honey is locust.

If you noticed in the picture I posted earlier we harvested a medium and a lighter wildflower honey from 2 locations just a couple miles apart. We suspect the darker on has a lot of tulip poplar in it while the lighter might be locust & clover based on the trees and plants in both locations.

What does opening up the hives mean ??
I see many different types of hives are some better than others, and why so pricey ??
Can you do the whole process alone or do you need to take it somewhere to seperate from the wax or comb or whatever you call that ??

Wingstone,

Give these folks a call. The Honeybee Shop, 141 N Colebrook Rd Manheim, PA 17545-8213 Phone

(717) 665-4350

I know they still had wildflower honey left by the end of the Farm Show. Whether they still do now, can't say.

I think that when a lot of folks think of 'raw' honey, they often mean 'unprocessed'. Think of the kind from the health food store that's called Really Raw honey IIRC, that has bits of wax in it and is usually crystallized. Maybe even a bee leg or 2.
ep.gif

Most honey is strained, and the size of the mesh in the strainer determine how much pollen is left in the finished honey. So even though it is technically 'raw' as in unheated, it can have a lot of the pollen strained out of it, making it look clearer and more 'processed'.
Thanks, that is really close to me...
The honey I have been getting shipped from kentucky is not real dark but has a grainyness to it, does that mean anything..

i have changed some plans around to be able to attend the landis valley event,,,,looking to get some of those mushroom logs, will have lots of questions on that also.

Last edited:
Happy April Fools day! :) Quick question. I have noticed some of my chicks "sparing" or "play fighting" with each other. mainly these 2 little speckeld sussex that are about 2-1/2 weeks old. i think they are boys. They go after my 4-5 week old chicks that are twice the size! I have noticed some of my older pullet chicks (or what i hope are pullets) doing it as well. So is this normal behavior for extablishing a pecking order? Or is this just what baby roo's do? If so... Any one want some roo's? free to good... err.. free to ANY home. :) I'd be happy to meet up half way.

My very favorite chook, and AMAZING broody, we sexed as a Roo when she was a chick -she was quite the chest bumper.

Chad I would prefer to buy local, just have not found the wildflower honey local that will sell it raw.

Wing, I would give you some of my honey, unfortunately, we lost all three hives this January. I'm so bummed out about it, I haven't tried replacing them.

Brought my chicks worth me to work today. I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to supervise them throughout the day! :)

No you did NOT!! Earning that 'crazy chicken lady' title, I see.

Thanks, that is really close to me...
The honey I have been getting shipped from kentucky is not real dark but has a grainyness to it, does that mean anything..

i have changed some plans around to be able to attend the landis valley event,,,,looking to get some of those mushroom logs, will have lots of questions on that also.

Raw honey will crystallize if it is not heated to prevent it ~ so that is a good thing. If you want you can re-liquefy your honey by putting it in a pan of warm water like you would warm a baby bottle.

Also be cautious of any honey listed as Organic ~ as if is not impossible to have organic honey it is improbable. The term Organic honey is not regulated in the US.

Quote:

unfortunately, we lost all three hives this January. I'm so bummed out about it, I haven't tried replacing them.

Sorry to hear that. This winter has shown record losses for hives. We lost 9 out of 17 hives here. I suspect that it may be due to dwindling as a result of varroa mites. We do not use chemical treatments in our hives and that does contribute to our losses. We have 6 packages on order and plan to do splits and hope for some swarm captures to fill of the rest of the lost hives. It was a costly winter loss for us.

What does opening up the hives mean ??
I see many different types of hives are some better than others, and why so pricey ??
Can you do the whole process alone or do you need to take it somewhere to seperate from the wax or comb or whatever you call that ??
You open up the hives and look inside to see how the bees are doing.

The typical type of hive used in the US is a Langstroth hive which runs about $200. to buy and another $90. to $100. to buy a package of bees. The physical hive may last for many, many years if maintained properly.

There are also top-bar hives which tend to fair better in warmer climates. Most beekeepers I know in the north have trouble getting the bees through the winter in them.

Hive in the US must have "movable frames" to allow for inspection ~ mostly for American Foulbrood disease which can destroy the bee population if it takes a hold. The standard treatment for American Foul brood is burning the hive with the bees in it.
sad.png

We do all of our own processing. We bought our own extracting equipment which can be costly. Our Beekeepers Assoc also owns equipment which our members can use for $10. a day.

Back
Top Bottom