Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

In the spirit of Samhain, or Halloween, I thought I'd share this now that I'm done tailing the candy magnet.
:gig That's too funny! A fair amount of tricker treaters here. Anyone else get the monsoon/ hurricane this morning? When my husband woke up, the first thing he said was "your chicken coop is still up!". Haha. Nothing like 60 mph winds to test your carpentry skills. Hope everyone's chooks are safe and dry! And uh... Free chickens... http://allentown.craigslist.org/grd/4163470939.html

:gig

That's too funny! A fair amount of tricker treaters here.

Anyone else get the monsoon/ hurricane this morning? When my husband woke up, the first thing he said was "your chicken coop is still up!". Haha. Nothing like 60 mph winds to test your carpentry skills. Hope everyone's chooks are safe and dry!

And uh... Free chickens...

http://allentown.craigslist.org/grd/4163470939.html

We had the winds and rain this morning. It's still raining but not as heavy and the winds have calmed down, still getting some gusts.

4 year old red sexlinks, I don't think they are still producing eggs. They are usually spent at 3 years old.

We had the high winds during the night, still windy here now, but nothing like the overnight! The birds still wanted out first thing though, they are having a blast digging through all of the wet leaves.

+1 on the spent Red Sex links.... may still be good bug cleaners but probably not going to produce too many eggs anymore. And the RSLs I've seen are too skinny to be good for much other than broth/soup birds if you were to process them, especially at 3 or 4 yrs old.

You can make or buy a section of louvered door to hang over it.... the frame is thick wood, such as 1x1 and the slats are set into the frame at a downward angle to the outside. It allows the airflow but breaks the straight wind. You could then add an old towel to the inside of it, hung from the top corners to about 2/3 way down, it will further baffle the wind but still allow airflow.

To make them, you can use pieces of old yard sticks for the louvers... that is what I did for a repair on one. Find old yardsticks laying around and cut it to length....
LOL that is funny, actually went and got a louvered door before reading this. I am going to try and go with that, hopefully the flow will break. If not, I will just attach one big piece of wood to the front of the window at a slant so that there is still ventilation, but there is some sort of windbreak. Not sure if I described that correctly.

No trick or treater's here....but then we live on a state road where the speed limit is 55. So we went to the gym while the littles were trick or treating with their mom.

Yeah, we must've gotten the same rain, the pile of leaves in the backyard has a foot wide gash in it.....leading straight down to my coop.....it's prolly all wet and gross inside again. Good thing we're going to TSC tomorrow to get bales of woodchips.

LOL that is funny, actually went and got a louvered door before reading this. I am going to try and go with that, hopefully the flow will break. If not, I will just attach one big piece of wood to the front of the window at a slant so that there is still ventilation, but there is some sort of windbreak. Not sure if I described that correctly.

Alternative would be a 'vent cover'.... they make them for attic and basement airflow. Available at home supply/construction stores in numerous sizes. They are a thin metal with built in louvers. You may find them in a size close to what you need and be able to make a piece of plywood to fit over the opening with a cut out the size of the vent in the middle of it. Nice thing about them is that many of them already have a fine wire screen built into them to prevent bees and critters from using them for access into your house.

and the ultimate fix is......(drum roll).......Duck Tape!!!!!

Hey everybody, how is your nest box attached to your coop? I have seem some use L brackets, but I don't think that would be strong enough to hold it up, because the osb I have used for the nest box is fairly thick and heavy. I am considering just putting legs underneath for support. Ideas?

Hey everybody, how is your nest box attached to your coop? I have seem some use L brackets, but I don't think that would be strong enough to hold it up, because the osb I have used for the nest box is fairly thick and heavy. I am considering just putting legs underneath for support. Ideas?

Legs would work best if you have everything sitting on level ground....you also could get/cut triangles of wood with one 90 degree angle....similar to L brackets....

Back
Top Bottom