Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Thank you for the guesstimates
thumbsup.gif
.. I like the look of the Narri's too, but of course there is more to raising them than looks so..I lose..haha, We really do not want to 'over-winter' turkeys, at least not for our first attempt. So...will probably be the BB's...unless something else presents itself.

I think turkeys are much cold hardier than chickens, and we know chickens are tough too. I can't believe how active they are on the most bitter cold days. They seem oblivious to the wind, whereas the chickens stay in sheltered areas. Maybe they just don't know they should get out of the wind, but they look very happy walking around on the frozen ground and talking to us whenever they see us.

My only caution about turkeys is that they are so friendly and personable you may not be able to eat them after all. I can't imagine killing the ones we have. We had some free range ones and one day 2 were killed by a truck. We butchered and ate them and it still seemed very sad. I can't imagine killing one intentionally. I kill roosters all the time, I probably dispatched hundreds when I was a teen and can do it easily now, but I can't see myself ever killing a turkey.

That is the reason the president pardons a turkey.

talkative bunch today....

silkie I will contact Arielle, you wouldn't happen to know her prices would you ??

never got around to cooking that chicken today, but I do have a pot of beef bones that have been cooking all day....they will continue to cook for awhile yet....smells good though.

really nice turkey pics, seems like we are all on the lookout for next year's turkeys.....

LMP... if you get late in the season and can not find BB... root's always has some at the livestock auction.....

just to add, got my first egg today from one of the white bresse

Last edited:
I think turkeys are much cold hardier than chickens, and we know chickens are tough too. I can't believe how active they are on the most bitter cold days. They seem oblivious to the wind, whereas the chickens stay in sheltered areas. Maybe they just don't know they should get out of the wind, but they look very happy walking around on the frozen ground and talking to us whenever they see us.

My only caution about turkeys is that they are so friendly and personable you may not be able to eat them after all. I can't imagine killing the ones we have. We had some free range ones and one day 2 were killed by a truck. We butchered and ate them and it still seemed very sad. I can't imagine killing one intentionally. I kill roosters all the time, I probably dispatched hundreds when I was a teen and can do it easily now, but I can't see myself ever killing a turkey.

That is the reason the president pardons a turkey.
Ray was warning me earlier about how personable they are...It will be interesting. I am not the eating these guys, but I am the one tending to them.....You sound like me with bears....I have hunted ever since I could, been in the woods forever...just don't ask me to go out for bear..can't do it, won't.
talkative bunch today....

silkie I will contact Arielle, you wouldn't happen to know her prices would you ??

never got around to cooking that chicken today, but I do have a pot of beef bones that have been cooking all day....they will continue to cook for awhile yet....smells good though.

really nice turkey pics, seems like we are all on the lookout for next year's turkeys.....

LMP... if you get late in the season and can not find BB... root's always has some at the livestock auction.....

just to add, got my first egg today from one of the white bresse
thank you ...we are usually down that way in the spring...

Ever since they went broody they have always been in the same nesting box so I figured they wouldnt mind the same box. They have two Heritage Delaware, three light Sussex, one easter egger and I just slipped two quail eggs under them for fun.

Sooo.... Turkey question from a super newbie: if you're not going to eat your turkeys, are they pes? Lawn ornaments? Edible egg layers?

Pardon the ignorance!
idunno.gif

Yes to all of those! Personally, I had always considered turkeys ugly and did not anticipate how their personality would affect my opinion. When I approach their pen, they all come running. If they were roosting, they jump down and then come running to greet me. They make noises that really sound like they are glad to see me and hope I brought them something to eat. I've even seen them start a kind of dance when they see me from afar, sort of like what cranes do when nesting (I don't have cranes, just watch them on TV). They clearly want my attention. I've never observed any other poultry do that, at least not so flamboyantly. I consider turkeys sort of the "dogs" of the poultry world.

You really gotta try one or 2.

Back
Top Bottom