Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote:
oh!! That is horrible for you! So sorry!
hugs.gif

Edit... I don't know why it cut off the quote weird??

Last edited:
I received currants and gooseberry plants in the mail................you know they come as dormant plants that basically look like sticks with roots.

I don't have the spot in the garden ready for them.............so after a few days of them just being indoors.............I decided to soak their roots for a day and plant them in containers for a short time.

then transplant them to their desired location............as soon as I can.

do you think they will be able to handle this process?

Ideally they should have gone into their permanent location right away.......................but..........life and energy and weather etc..................

any advice----------

Literally my parents have no clue how to help me. My dad was really good at math and he says he's never even seen the stuff I bring home in his life. It's like people sit around and just think up sick ways to torture kids through math.
1f602.png
lol ikr! Right now I am taking Algebra....and it sucks! My parents are the same way. I still manage to make distinguished honor roll though, so I am happy with that!

No, they don't teach basic math skills anymore. They teach albegra, geometry, trigonometry (sp.), calculus, etc. They teach basic skills in 3rd grade and by the end of 8th you forget what a division symbol looks like. It's all alphabet with symbols and a few numbers scattered in there. Pretty annoying actually. Stuff I'll never use in my life but the state makes us learn it.

I actually use basic algebra and geometry all the time.

I often wish I remembered more of what I was taught in geometry. Figuring out what the incline should be on a roof for maximum benefit for run off is one that I tangle with. Or would this be a trig problem? I usually solve these problems by holding pieces of wood in place, eyeballing them and the screw/hammer/saw/glue....whatever it takes at that point. Yes my coops and runs are a hodge podge of creative genius. And it seems like every time the weather is harsh I figure out something that needs to change or be done differently the next time around.

Thanks, Fisher and Barbie..... she has been the only chicken fascinated with the pond. I have caught her several times walking the perimeter and perching on the edge. I was hoping to breed the two orloffs next spring, she was quite pretty. She is my avatar pic.

I received currants and gooseberry plants in the mail................you know they come as dormant plants that basically look like sticks with roots.

I don't have the spot in the garden ready for them.............so after a few days of them just being indoors.............I decided to soak their roots for a day and plant them in containers for a short time.

Ideally they should have gone into their permanent location right away.......................but..........life and energy and weather etc..................

any advice----------
I don't know anything about those particular plants..like if they need anything special, but generally you can , for temporary purposes, plant to cover roots..don't pack/tamp dirt...keep watered, do not allow to dry out, BUT don't over water..I have been known to "over-love" a plant or two...or a whole flat of seedlings
hide.gif

**Everyone talking about "making change"....if the register doesn't "tell" them what to give you back, people are helpless. Not just the younger set either...we have become so used to just pushing buttons to get the answers....I am really "dating " myself now, but when my girls were in school (3-5 years ago)...the teachers would give students calculators to take home to do the math problems/homework...yeah, don't really learn to add-subtract-divide..etc...on your own..just punch in the numbers and walla! The amazing thing about that whole "idea" is that some students still failed
hu.gif
..really?!...so sad for everyone...JMHO
cool.png

***GR Chicks..sorry for your loss, do you think she was trying to get a drink and fell in?...you would think she would have been able to get out, but I guess if the water is too deep...sorry.
hugs.gif

***evroman- Hello & Welcome
frow.gif
..if you can't find it here..they don't make it!
wink.png

Having fun watching the granddaughter tonight!
love.gif
Not chicken related cuteness...

she is running now...hahaha making it very interesting keeping up! We are watching hockey and she is very happy the penguins are winning!!
celebrate.gif

any advice----------

You can plant them in pots for a while, or you can wet them and store them in a loose plastic bag in the fridge for a few days, or if any ground is digable, you can plant them anywhere and move them in a week or 2 (known in horticultural literature as "heeling in"). The last is my preference and it is simple and easy, but potting them up is best for a longer term.

It all depends on how long:
< 1 week, refrigerate them
< 3 weeks. heel in somewhere
> 3 weeks. pot them up

The one thing you should not do it put their roots in water in vase or bucket, as you would cut flowers. Roots need oxygen and water has a far lower concentration of o2 than air.

I actually use basic algebra and geometry all the time.

I do too. I love math and look for opportunities to do math in my head. Geometry for building coops and such, algebra also helps for getting the most use out of standard board sizes. Slopes are easily calculated also.

My complaint about modern math education, and education in general, is that it doesn't encourage our children to think things through on their own. There is no "right way", as long as your way provides the correct answer. I remember chafing as my math teacher took points off, not because the answer was wrong, but because I didn't show enough steps in my work. I devised shortcuts that let me skip a lot and I had to explain my logic to her before she'd give me full credit. I was a challenging student to have in class, I didn't "fit" any of the patterns that they had been trained to expect in their students. Because of my bad experience in school, I chose to home school my kids and it avoided all that and allowed a very customized education. It is great to explain just a little to a child and watch them comprehend on their own, human brains are amazing when properly challenged, but I don't think that's a consideration on modern education.

Back
Top Bottom