Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

okay....................now I am all worried again that maybe it was egg binding and the shell is still in her...........

if she cracked the egg and just passed the liquid...............

is this possible?

I have been reading on the egg binding ..............and they suggest internal exam

and lost of soaks and calcium etc........

but much of this is to help an egg that is stuck..............

if she passed the liquid...............where is the shell?

is it possible that there was no shell..............that is what I was hoping for..............but????if its still insider her...................she could get an infection and die

How do you tell gender in turkeys? My bourbon red poults are around 14 weeks now and other than one being a bit smaller (had a couple injuries that set it back), they all look exactly the same to me. Hoping I didn't get 4 of the same gender! I can try to get a picture later, nursing baby down for a nap at the moment.

My Toms are gobbling pretty often by 14 weeks. They are generally larger and the more dominant ones get blue heads. If they all look the same and you;ve heard nothing, they may be 4 hens.

No. Nothing seemed wrong at all. Eating, drinking and then I would find them the next day dead.

I emailed the pa dept of agriculture. They calked and asked me to send the bird overnight with ice packs. Shipping would have been $40 and a $40 fee for testing. I'm 4 hrs away so driving isn't an option. I called back and someone can meet me 45 min. away tomorrow. I'm assuming I still have to pay the fee for testing. Hubby is not going to be happy.

Anyone else have their birds tested for things? What should I expect!

Did they limp or lose strength before they died? I've had 3 lose strength in one leg, then the other, and then they get so weak we end up culling them to put them out of their suffering. I mailed one to the dept. of ag. today too. I suspect avian encephalomyelitis (? probably butchered the spelling), but am getting tested to be sure. You may want to look into AE, it INfects older birds, but doesn't AFFECT them. They can pass it on to the chicks, and it kills them but adults show no signs.

edited for spelling

My above post was to you but I forgot to tag you!

Last edited:
So sorry!

Just to share from my hours of research. If you trap the foxes in your area, next season or the next more will return to fill the gap. Nearby females will even have larger litters....It's just nature.

I don't believe that feeding the wildlife my chickens is "nature". They have their own food. But how to deter, how to deter?

Is there anything else you can do? Fence a large area for when you are not around? (not heavy duty, possibly just wire with step ins or the fiberglass rods and then a couple strands of electric poly wire? Does work very well.

ETA - if you have the funds. Electric Poultry fence would be a great way to go. Gives huge amount of protected square footage, and it's portable.

Last edited:
No. Nothing seemed wrong at all. Eating, drinking and then I would find them the next day dead.

I emailed the pa dept of agriculture. They calked and asked me to send the bird overnight with ice packs. Shipping wou ld have been $40 and a $40 fee for testing. I'm 4 hrs away so driving isn't an option. I called back and someone can meet me 45 min. away tomorrow. I'm assuming I still have to pay the fee for testing. Hubby is not going to be happy.

Anyone else have their birds tested for things? What should I expect!

Good for you for doing this!!!

Expect a call when they receive the bird and do a preliminary...

Then a follow up about a week later once tests are complete...

Then a report and a bill.

That is all.

They are personable, delightful people. Answered all my questions.

ETA, From looking at the website, I assumed testing would be very expensive, hundreds of $$$. Not so, that must be for whole flocks.

My bill was $40 total, and the testing was very comprehensive.

Last edited:
How dare you put up this cuteness overload with out a good warning!
ep.gif
. I am LOVING watching my broody with her babies. Hopefully soon we will have more!!!
I know, I can not stand it!!!! That is some seriously nauseating cute. Kidding! I am so excited....

fingers crossed!!!!!! 14 days or so, til my first broody hatch. They should be within 24 hours, those are one day's flocks eggs and I swapped out 1 from the following day because one was cracked. There are 2 clears to remove and maybe a couple quitters, but knock wood, looks like 5 or 6 good ones :) Then I too can have my own personal cute.

How dare you put up this cuteness overload with out a good warning! :eek: . I am LOVING watching my broody with her babies. Hopefully soon we will have more!!!

I know, I can not stand it!!!!   That is some seriously nauseating cute.  Kidding!  I am so excited....

fingers crossed!!!!!!   14 days or so, til my first broody hatch.  They should be within 24 hours, those are one day's flocks eggs and I swapped out 1 from the following day because one was cracked.  There are 2 clears to remove and maybe a couple quitters, but knock wood, looks like 5 or 6 good ones :)  Then I too can have my own personal cute.

Nice! Looking forward to pics...

Back
Top Bottom