Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Howdy Debby:

Yep, got the tee shirt!, I haven't been successful with trapping the PIAs, but I have been able to spot light them twice....hopefully one of these nights.....also there's a new batch of young ones...my neighbor mentioned seeing one eating dropped bird feed from under another neighbor's bird feeder....

Hi Stake,
Yeah the next day my BF & a couple of his friends went to the den and put in a "smoke" bomb....Holy Crap!  it sounded like a cannon going off.  I'm pretty sure she had already moved the kits, and one of our friends said "well if it didn't kill 'em they are probably in another county by now"  LOL  :fl

We tried smoke bombs here also. They didn't make noise, but nothing came out of the holes. They moved out already.

Lost another Delaware this morning! I was making breakfast and Bella said she thought she saw a raccoon run across our from yard. I go look and don't see anything except a couple chickens and turkeys completely unfazed by the apple tree on the side yard. Finish cooking my eggs then go out to feed the birds and do a head count. Missing the little Delaware roo and see a trail of feathers leading down to the stream/woods. I should have checked out the back door instead of the front... or maybe he was already done and leaving because it was less than 5 minutes from "mom, I think I saw a raccoon" to the head count and trail of feathers.

Okay everybody, cuteness overload! There are four chicks in total. I'm hoping @dheltzel can help figure out what we have. Sorry for the poor photos, we know broody mamas are not up for photo shoots. :lol:

Trying to be prepared if I need to give up everything at the farm.
I can not go back to buying from a store so I am trying to look up the borough codes for fowl and rabbit.
What I am finding under the Mount Joy Borough section for animals is that I can keep fowl and rabbit as long as they are caged and at least 30 feet from a residence...
Am I missing something or can I really keep a few breeding rabbits and a quail pen within the borough
I wonder of "caged" means in a pen? So that they aren't wandering onto neighboring property or into the road causing a dangerous situation.

"caged", is like promoting cruelty to animals. A nice roomy pen?

Lost another Delaware this morning! I was making breakfast and Bella said she thought she saw a raccoon run across our from yard. I go look and don't see anything except a couple chickens and turkeys completely unfazed by the apple tree on the side yard. Finish cooking my eggs then go out to feed the birds and do a head count. Missing the little Delaware roo and see a trail of feathers leading down to the stream/woods. I should have checked out the back door instead of the front... or maybe he was already done and leaving because it was less than 5 minutes from "mom, I think I saw a raccoon" to the head count and trail of feathers.
Sorry for the loss!

Maybe getting into mama feeding herself and babies time....

These recent losses on this thread is really making me think, I better put up the gigundo run I've been wanting to get to.. 20ish by 30ish...600 sq ft, electrified with netting on top.

I don't want any surprise disappearances and only leave them range when I am literally outside with them. They will not be happy :(

Last edited:
Okay everybody, cuteness overload! There are four chicks in total. I'm hoping @dheltzel can help figure out what we have. Sorry for the poor photos, we know broody mamas are not up for photo shoots.
lol.png

What color are the egg shells? I don't recall what you had in this bunch. If you don't have the egg shells, then you need to look at their legs.
For the blue one, are the legs dark or are there any feathers down their legs? (dark legs = blue ameraucana, feathers = blue marans)
For the chipmunk striped ones, yellow legs = welsummer, olive green (willow) legs = rhodebar pullet
Definitely no male Rhodebars in that group of 3.

Update on my dead bird that I sent to be tested. It was cocci killing off all the young chicks. I'm treating them now. It also stated some lice present. I feel like the worst chicken owner ever! I'm going to buy some DE for them to dust bathe in and give the coops a very thorough cleaning this weekend. Anything else I should do for the lice? The eggs are still good to eat when treating them with Corrid, correct?

Question. I now have two broody hens. I'm moving them to an unused part of the larger coop. I'm still going to treat them. Is it okay to give them eggs to hatch? I don't want all these babies to die. If it is ok, I'm looking for silkie hatching eggs, Easter Eggers and black copper marans. Anyone?

Last edited:
Update on my dead bird that I sent to be tested. It was cocci killing off all the young chicks. I'm treating them now. It also stated some lice present. I feel like the worst chicken owner ever! I'm going to buy some DE for them to dust bathe in and give the coops a very thorough cleaning this weekend. Anything else I should do for the lice? The eggs are still good to eat when treating them with Corrid, correct?

Question. I now have two broody hens. I'm moving them to an unused part of the larger coop. I'm still going to treat them. Is it okay to give them eggs to hatch? I don't want all these babies to die. If it is ok, I'm looking for silkie hatching eggs, Easter Eggers and black copper marans. Anyone?

They said mine had cocci too... I don't believe them. Everyone in the flock has completely healthy looking poops, no other symptoms whatsoever. The lady said it may have been because it laid on/picked at the ground prior to being culled and ate a lot of dirt (which is where cocci lives). I don't think I'm gonna treat with Corid, but there's no withdrawal period for eggs or meat.

I didn't notice any symptoms prior to their death but I do not want to lose anymore. This is my first time treating them for anything.

For the lice I would treat everyone with a dusting of sevin/permithrin powder... that is just my 'go to' for any parasites. It is imperative you treat the broodies before they sit long since they are at high risk for heavier infestation since they aren't out to dust bath as much. DE is a good aid in prevention or reduction of biting parasites but it probably won't do much to eliminate an existing problem. there are numerous threads on BYC about treatment alternatives for mites and lice which should help you decide what works for you.... if you type 'sevin for lice' in search block it will bring up a few.

Back
Top Bottom