Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I've been thinking (uh oh!). Why not hover the heat lamp at the appropriate height to keep the eggs at a good temperature (98-100), and add the chick water to add a little humidity?
Sally Sunshine shared an article about hatching temperatures being okay lower. I just can't remember how low.

Don't count them out yet! It really doesn't sound like a death sentence for the remaining eggs! Just breathe, and wait. Don't open the incubator to remove chicks. They are fine in there.
:hugs

The temp got to 86 and the eggs were cold so I have 9 total in my bra. A couple internally pipped cheeping at me. I have 4 due Monday in the crockpot on warm. And 7 due in 2 weeks with a lamp over the Brinsea tray bottom. STRESS. Let's hope one of these will work until tomorrow.

I have read that even if the surface is cool on the eggs, they may still be warm enough inside. I thinking cooling down of eggs is better than too hot. Keep us updated!

@fisherlady Question about your extra Roos. When you are raising them for freezer camp, do you keep them isolated? I have four eggs in the incubator right now, and if they all hatch, I will likely have two extra Roos. Should I keep them penned up separately? The rest of my flock free ranges during the day. Also, what is a good butchering age/weight? I have a feeling they won't be very heavy unfortunately, since they are CCL/Marans mixes. My Rusty (the father) doesn't look very meaty and he's probably near full grown.

I have read that even if the surface is cool on the eggs, they may still be warm enough inside. I thinking cooling down of eggs is better than too hot. Keep us updated!

@fisherlady Question about your extra Roos. When you are raising them for freezer camp, do you keep them isolated? I have four eggs in the incubator right now, and if they all hatch, I will likely have two extra Roos. Should I keep them penned up separately? The rest of my flock free ranges during the day. Also, what is a good butchering age/weight? I have a feeling they won't be very heavy unfortunately, since they are CCL/Marans mixes. My Rusty (the father) doesn't look very meaty and he's probably near full grown.

I'm not fisherlady but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Any extra roos I plan on eating I try to butcher at about 20 weeks. I don't isolate them or do anything different with them. They get to run around and act like chickens. Birds that are processed at about 20 weeks are young enough that they can be cooked however you want. If they go much longer than 20 weeks they get older and tougher and are relegated to usually being soup birds.

I'm not fisherlady but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Any extra roos I plan on eating I try to butcher at about 20 weeks. I don't isolate them or do anything different with them. They get to run around and act like chickens. Birds that are processed at about 20 weeks are young enough that they can be cooked however you want. If they go much longer than 20 weeks they get older and tougher and are relegated to usually being soup birds.
x2 I do the same with mine. I generally watch them and butcher the meanest one first.

[@=/u/178201/fisherlady]@fisherlady[/@] Question about your extra Roos. When you are raising them for freezer camp, do you keep them isolated? I have four eggs in the incubator right now, and if they all hatch, I will likely have two extra Roos. Should I keep them penned up separately? The rest of my flock free ranges during the day. Also, what is a good butchering age/weight? I have a feeling they won't be very heavy unfortunately, since they are CCL/Marans mixes. My Rusty (the father) doesn't look very meaty and he's probably near full grown.

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite/67180#post_18111582 layout=inline]Holy cow I've been away too long :th  [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite/67180#post_18111582 layout=inline]Congratulations on those with baby chicks, new chickens, and setting eggs! [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite/67180#post_18111630 layout=inline]I can finally put away the incubator. The last egg hatched while we were sleeping last night. Trying to get the older chicks to get along with the baby today. [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite/67180#post_18111630 layout=inline]How is everyone? <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/453858/yoopergirl1211" style="display:inline-block;">@yoopergirl1211</a>
 I hope your goats are ok :hugs [/CONTENTEMBED]

x2 I do the same with mine. I generally watch them and butcher the meanest one first.

Thanks guys, I assume they are crowing at that point? I was trying to avoid a lot of excess noise, but I guess it can't be helped.

X2. Mine are part of the flock until butchering day. They get nothing different or special. I have several out there that are ready now though it's too cold to butcher amt. We Isuzu butcher anytime between 4-6 months. All depends on their size and temperament.

Good morning all. What a rain we got yesterday. I was lucky to get a couple breaks in the rain to get the main roof on minus ridge vent and caps, trim work done, and a vent window put on (and various locks). Today will be focused on the run and a door, chickens get picked up [hopefully] between 1230 and 1430.

Im also planning on recycling an damaged piece of gutter to recycle rain water to help water the girls. Our sewer rate is astronomical compared to our water bill.

Hi @FluffyButt789! My wonderful little boys are doing okay. We think one of them isn't castrated and the little guy looks like it might not be done correctly. Big guy has a funny eye too and they are both still coughing and limping. Have an appointment at vet for them tomorrow. On the upside they like us now. Little Ford is a ham and Stetson is still a little flinchy with me but loves my hubby and daughter. Hopefully the vet will help figure out what's going on!

Good morning all. What a rain we got yesterday. I was lucky to get a couple breaks in the rain to get the main roof on minus ridge vent and caps, trim work done, and a vent window put on (and various locks). Today will be focused on the run and a door, chickens get picked up [hopefully] between 1230 and 1430.

Im also planning on recycling an damaged piece of gutter to recycle rain water to help water the girls. Our sewer rate is astronomical compared to our water bill.

Looks good!

@MotorcycleChick my husband said no to the little cows but apparently we're getting a couple big ones lol. I know he wants a turkey, we pass some young ones everyday and once I pointed them out he comments on them every time we drive past. He's worried about where we'll keep them. I may have filled up the great new coop he built for me already.... oops. And I still have guineas coming... so as soon as we figure out where to put them I think he wants some of the blue and white ones. I'm hoping for the bourbon ones too!

Back
Top Bottom