Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

The coop is almost finished! We're going to makeshift a run for them while the actual run is under construction. In other news... Klaus and Charlie are ring leaders in jailbreaks. We came home from the feed mill today and all of the bitty babies were out of their brooder! Including Klaus who isn't small at all, and Charlie who's getting to that point.

Hi PA Peeps! So, I decided to let my broody SFH try to hatch some eggs and low and behold, we had a chick yesterday. This morning, the other egg she was sitting on, had a PIP. There is a hole and I can see the chick's beak. I just checked before dark and there was minimal progress but the chick seemed to be cheeping. I haven't given it any help, but I am concerned...thoughts?

I need help! Today was the first day in forever that we have gotten ZERO eggs. None. Zilch! I'm so upset. Why are they not laying in the coop?!?! I looked all over the property in their usual spots and didn't find any eggs outside either. We have 7 laying hens! UGH :barnie:he :mad:

1200px-2013.10.31.150923_Rattlepod_%28Crotalaria_retusa%29_Chain_of_Craters_Road_Hawaii_Volcanoes_National_Park_Hawaii.jpg

If your chickens are free ranging check your property for Crotalaria ( poisonous to birds, and can cause liver damage, which results in ascites).

Is fermented feed supposed to have a vinegary smell? It smells good, sorta, but tangy. They seem to like it so far. (Day 3 of trying it.) And I am worried that Rory is going broody now. That's all I need!

Yep, that's how it should smell! Well, if you end up worth a broody, I have ayam cemani seperated....lol

Hi PA Peeps! So, I decided to let my broody SFH try to hatch some eggs and low and behold, we had a chick yesterday. This morning, the other egg she was sitting on, had a PIP. There is a hole and I can see the chick's beak. I just checked before dark and there was minimal progress but the chick seemed to be cheeping. I haven't given it any help, but I am concerned...thoughts?

It can take up to 24 hours from pip to zip. Id wait at least that long before getting concerned and helping.

I need help! Today was the first day in forever that we have gotten ZERO eggs. None. Zilch! I'm so upset. Why are they not laying in the coop?!?! I looked all over the property in their usual spots and didn't find any eggs outside either. We have 7 laying hens! UGH :barnie:he :mad:

I wouldn't worry. My egg production has slowed a bit also (completely stopped in the turkey pen). Mostly due to broody girls but a few are also getting close to molting if they haven't started already.

Aw, I'm so sorry. That's a terrible feeling. :hugs

Thanks guys... we are hoping a neighbor found them and decided to raise chickens. One was a blue partridge silkie cockerel & the other a black Langshan pullet. The blue cockerel Langshan stayed behind with the big girls. So, we put him back with the youngsters. He's so huge compared to the others his own age; but,
he's gentle, so it's not a problem.

I hatched LF Cochin about a week ago. I couldn't find any on here, so I took a risk with eBay. Though it was unimpressive packing, but they arrived fairly intact. At 5 days 4 were developed. No more developed, of course. They all remained strong and I nursed a couple air cells. Beautiful hatches, with one minor assist.

These are the chicks and the barring on the yellow with black stripes, I'd like to know your thoughts on.
IMG_1877.JPG

Blue...
IMG_1880.JPG

Assume this is partridge/ not right hatch color for gold-Laced, right?
IMG_1881.JPG

I suspect this one is splash...
IMG_1922.JPG

Silver Laced? Hoping that the little muddling means pullet.

So loveable & interactive .

Hey everyone. I have a ton of catching up to do but was wondering if anyone has experience with water belly? Pretty sure I have a girl with it. I have a syringe to drain it but not sure what to expect or what else to do

I don't know anything about this, but it sounds tricky. Please let us know how you make out.

Is fermented feed supposed to have a vinegary smell? It smells good, sorta, but tangy. They seem to like it so far. (Day 3 of trying it.) And I am worried that Rory is going broody now. That's all I need!

Sounds right to me! I have three that have gone broody too. Time to bring out the broody breaker again! One RIR, one BSL, and one old Silkie. :lol:

It's a late reply, but I would let her handle it. Broodies know a lot more than we do. I had a broody that got up for her last stretch when one had pipped, but not zipped. Thought she was crazy. But the chicks hatched just fine!

I have seen a bit of a decline as well. Maybe it has to do with the heat also. You can keep the cooped up until 12-1, most of them will be done laying at that point.

Day 10 of incubation for the first go at my meat project. Started w 28 eggs and I think I had 3 clear and 3 blood ring, the rest look good! I really hope we have a good hatch, I am so anxious to see how this cross comes out (and I'll likely have a few pure delaware in the mix too)

Are you raising TOADS?

Took out the low gate. The kids can get over it now, so there is no point to it. And Mama Niko wants them out. So, out they can come.
Started fermented feed today. I hope I did it right. It is about the consistency of thick oatmeal.

Yep, that'll work... make it the way that works for you. I make it thinner for new chicks so I don't worry about them finding the water nipple right away, and I add poly visol without iron, at that time.

Back
Top Bottom