Perch, Deep Litter Method, Diatomaceous Earth, Salmonella.

Most people are uneducated when it comes to Salmonella.

A simple blood test will confirm if your chooks are carrying the salmonella bacterium.

If they test negative, you can eat their eggs raw.

Even if they test positive, if you cook the eggs or the meat of the birds properly, there is no risk of infection.

"Improperly handled or undercooked poultry and eggs are the foods which most frequently cause Salmonella food poisoning. Chickens are a major carrier of Salmonella bacteria, which accounts for its prominence in poultry products. However, identifying foods which may be contaminated with Salmonella is particularly difficult because infected chickens typically show no signs or symptoms. Since infected chickens have no identifying characteristics, these chickens go on to lay eggs or to be used as meat.

At one time, it was thought that Salmonella bacteria were only found in eggs which had cracked, thus allowing the bacteria to enter. Ultimately, it was learned that, because the egg shell has tiny pores, even uncracked eggs which sat for a time on a surface (nest) contaminated with Salmonella could themselves become contaminated. It is known also that the bacteria can be passed from the infected female chicken directly into the substance of the egg before the shell has formed around it.

Anyone may contract Salmonella food poisoning, but the disease is most serious in infants, the elderly, and individuals with weakened immune systems. In these individuals, the infection may spread from the intestines to the blood stream, and then to other body sites, causing death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics. In addition, people who have had part or all of their stomach or their spleens removed, or who have sickle cell anemia, cirrhosis of the liver, leukemia, lymphoma, malaria, louse-borne relapsing fever, or Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) are particularly susceptible to Salmonella food poisoning."

Quote:
I don't worry so much about me, but I worry about the children. I have always eaten soft fried eggs, but stopped this when pregnant.

I think I have been brainwashed by this:
http://www.britegg.co.uk/lionquality05/startlionquality.html
That is why I started giving the children soft eggs again, when they were guaranteeing the commercial eggs.

I've just had a thought though, it looks like they only inject them once as pullets. As my chickens are rescue chickens they would have been vaccinated. I shall have to go and find out.

Thank you.

Quote:
I am definitely going to have to try it. I think I may still be tempted to pick out poo though. Definitely not on days when it is 5 below.

Thank you.

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I have posted to Garden Web for help.

I have also pm dlhunicorn.

The photo of the perch is from the side where it is rounded, but I would say it was about 2 to 3" wide. It was wood that someone had spare that their chickens were using as perches.

I really don't know why I am so worried about the perch. I just thought they would have to have one to use or some object to perch on. I thought the evidence of that would be poo on the area.

Anyway it has been raining here all day today, so they have not got out onto the garden. I shall go out there now, so I can see what I am doing and try them on the perch.

I have to say I feel quite foolish.

Regards

Nappy

Quote:
Hi
Thank you for this. Please see my other post about the lion mark.

Regards

Nappy

I use hay in the nests and in the coop,and I sprinkle DE really good on both, when you buy your DE be sure it is FOOD GRADE, as the kind you use for swimming pool filters will kill your chickens. Since i use hay pretty deep, my eggs are clean, so I don't wash them until I start to use them and I also tell everyone who buys my eggs Idon't wash them, When I clean out the coop the used hay goes on the garden and I use new hay .
welcome-byc.gif

Many people only use a paper towel to wip the eggs, as washing them removesthe natural "bloom" on them (a protective covering).

Washing eggs can also force bacteria into the egg. Shells are porous and bacteria is pushed into the egg when you put it under water.

Just a little note on salmonella....The salmonella actually infects the ovaries of the hen so it is in the egg before the shell even forms. So washing the eggs isn't going to do any good. As someone mentioned before I think you can get a blood test to be sure. I don't know how much something like that costs but it will give you peace of mind! (I just learned this in my nutrition class last quarter:))

Back
Top Bottom