Perfect Rooster Breed

Chirping
Dec 3, 2015
I am looking for the perfect rooster breed for my flock. A rooster that is kind and respectful to his hens, chicks, and people. A rooster that protects his hens, is always on the look out for danger. Protects the new chicks and loves his human caretakers.

There's no such thing as the perfect breed. But I've seen a few perfect individuals, and those may be found more commonly in some breeds than others. I've found that list to include Brahmas, Cochins, Faverolles, Silkies, and gamefowl of both Oriental and American ancestry. You may want to avoid Rhode Island Reds and Polish due to frequent aggression issues.

I currently have 2 breeds of roo. 1 lavender orpington named Bob, because he a big orpington boy. Lol :) I know cheesy. And I have 2 spitzhauben boys. 1 silver and 1 gold spangled. Both breeds are great. The orpington is HUGE and uses that to scare things off, but he is respectful of his humans. The spitzhauben boys are great at feeding the girls and watching over them. They also love to mate, but are very gentle with the girls. So I guess the size of your hens depends on which I would prefer. Orpington boys can't be with bantam hens, they will smush them. Spitzhauben boys are smaller framed, so bantam or large fowl is fine.

Back
Top Bottom