Permethrin 10% dips on chicks 9 days old?!

BabyT

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
Hi I have 9-10 day old chicks. 6 of them. They seem to be really itchy and I believe maybe mites or lice? Anyhow I bought 10% permethrin from the tractor supply I bought the chicks from. They seem healthy otherwise. Minus the normal pasty but there and there.
My question is what rate should I dilute the permethrin!? And is it ok to dip them this young?

The pasty butt/poop stuck on vent seems to be getting a ton better. It was all of them when I got them from tractor supply I’ve had them just over a week and I’m down to just 2 having it here and there bt not a lot just like one tiny piece that I soak off in a couple mins. I have them eating nature wise chick starter grower. With minimal grit available if wanted. And I give occasional “treat” (dried mealworm or I have them a little cottage cheese yesterday and they loved it) but I give them very minimal. I’m new to all this so it’s been very stressful at times but things seem to be finally leveling out around here haha. I did notice though they seem to itch a lot! I’m not really sure what sign of either lice or kites really are I’ve read some online but it seems like everything has the same symptoms. :/ I was just thinking a dip as a prevention as well if anything because they will be going outside soon too. And where I live is hot and dry in California and fleas rodents wild birds ect are all over so I want them protected. I’m open to any suggestions and ideas! Please!

Sounds to me like you're doing a great job. But honestly I would not use Permethrin as a preventative on baby chicks, for something that might not be happening. A dust bath is always the way to go to help them rid themselves of bugs unless you truly have an infestation to deal with. It doesn't surprise me that TSC chicks had pasty butt, good job dealing with that. Just make sure brooder is not to hot.

Back
Top Bottom