Permethrin for mites/lice infestation

Surbhi

Chirping
Jul 8, 2020
This morning i was holding my chicken and after I put him down I noticed small brown insects on my jacket and naturally am very freaked out right now. I've read that permethrin spray is effective for such infestation but am unsure of how to use it. Can I spray permethrin 10 directly on the chicken without dilution? if not how much do I dilute it? How do I avoid getting the lice or mites on me while I handle the chickens :(

This morning i was holding my chicken and after I put him down I noticed small brown insects on my jacket and naturally am very freaked out right now. I've read that permethrin spray is effective for such infestation but am unsure of how to use it. Can I spray permethrin 10 directly on the chicken without dilution? if not how much do I dilute it? How do I avoid getting the lice or mites on me while I handle the chickens? I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner.

I don't know anything about permethrin, but I will tell you the most effective way I have found to get rid of mites. I use Ivomec and diatomateous earth. Ivomec is technically for cattle so all you do is drop a few drops directly onto the skin of your birds and it soaks into there blood stream and kills the mites that way. Along with that I search each bird indiviually and put diatomateous earth on any mites I see. Then repeat this process every week.

I don't know anything about permethrin, but I will tell you the most effective way I have found to get rid of mites. I use Ivomec and diatomateous earth. Ivomec is technically for cattle so all you do is drop a few drops directly onto the skin of your birds and it soaks into there blood stream and kills the mites that way. Along with that I search each bird indiviually and put diatomateous earth on any mites I see. Then repeat this process every week.
thanks for the reply. Do you know if this works for lice as well?

Yes, use the permerthrine, do not use diotomataetous earth, it's a respiratory irritant and causes serious respiratory issues in you and your birds.
What is the brand of the spray?
How big was the big and what did it look like?

Yes, use the permerthrine, do not use diotomataetous earth, it's a respiratory irritant and causes serious respiratory issues in you and your birds.
What is the brand of the spray?
How big was the big and what did it look like?
The bugs were no bigger than a speck of dirt and were brown/grayish in color

FYI.. permerthrine is highly toxic to cats - causes seizures so if you have cats that may come into contact of your chickens or chicken area, I would use a different method.

Back
Top Bottom