Pet Peeves

Dairy bulls? What breed? Rutgers University used to have (maybe they still do) a herd of Jersey cattle. Nicest sweetest cows you could ever imagine. The bulls acted like Mexican fighting bulls and would try to climb out of their stalls to get at you. I've seen mellow beef bulls, but NEVER a dairy bull that could be trusted.
I don't have that much experience, but we are surrounded by beef cattle, often with bulls included. They appear very placid and pay no heed to either the humans around nor to my stupid Sheltie who occasionally runs out there barking at them. Peaceable beasts they are, no matter what breed they are.

Well the first circled looks like a water buffalo, but the second looks like a Mexican fighting bull - man killers. Does/did your aunt live in the US?
Huh. Maybe I should find real pictures. The drawings are apparently not all of the cow breeds. The others just look too humpy and/or too fluffy to look anything like what she had. Hold on, I will try to find photos.

Oh this made me cry too, reading about it! How old were these men when this happened? So glad they both survived! I lived on a Holstein ranch briefly in my early 20's and I will tell you that bull was terrifying! He was kept penned but whenever I had to walk past it, he would snort, bellow and tear up the ground. He did not like me and the feeling was mutual.
They were in their 40's or 50's. I'd have to ask my mom how old they are now, they are her brothers. And she is 74, they are both younger. Remember the pm I sent you awhile back, about my family farm being in the Diocese of Erie magazine? That's what I'm talking about

Huh. Maybe I should find real pictures. The drawings are apparently not all of the cow breeds. The others just look too humpy and/or too fluffy to look anything like what she had. Hold on, I will try to find photos.
It is very hard to find pictures of bulls. All I am scrolling through are pictures of a basketball team. 😑

Well the first circled looks like a water buffalo, but the second looks like a Mexican fighting bull - man killers. Does/did your aunt live in the US?
Like this, but without this coloring. They were almost always black or brown with the occasional white spot.
fotolia_112451_XS.jpg

There was another kind that was chonkier. But it was not fluffy like in the pictures I am finding. Maybe they were just fat. 🤔

Probably just black angus
Must have been a mix, though. I just Googled it and black angus do not have horns. Like, they were not massive horns, more like nubbins. But they were definitely horns. I used to like to play with them and tell them their horns were tiny and cute, like rotting baby carrots. 🤣

Must have been a mix, though. I just Googled it and black angus do not have horns. Like, they were not massive horns, more like nubbins. But they were definitely horns. I used to like to play with them and tell them their horns were tiny and cute, like rotting baby carrots. 🤣
I'm so proud of you, for using the word "nubbin" correctly!

Back
Top Bottom