I may even start with buying wool and a hand drop spindle to start learning or depending how soon maybe even sheep wool from are own sheep if we get some. My family hopes to in the future get sheep for meat. I didn't even think about buying wool until you mentioned it. Thx,
Speaking from experience-- learning to spin NICE yarn can take quite a bit of practice!

I learned to spin with purchased wool, while living in a place that was not suitable for keeping any kind of wool-bearing animal. So that's why I thought of buying it :)

I've also tried spinning cotton-- depending on where you live, that is something else you might be able to raise. Cotton is a bit different to spin than wool, but similar enough that you don't have to learn completely new skills when changing from one to the other.

Satin's are good too, they give less wool but the fiber is so soft and shiny.
There is a breed called Satin that has normal-length fur. It would not be suitable for spinning.

There is also a breed called Satin Angora, which would work.

Breed names can be confusing sometimes, but I'm pretty sure any breed called "angora" does grow long enough wool to spin.

I have just learned about people using Angora rabbits for wool. I have no knowledge of spinning wool but I was wondering do you shear the fur off and then spin it? If I ever did this the rabbits involved would be pets so I wouldn't cull them to remove their fur. How many rabbits worth of fur would you need to make a throw blanket? Also for anyone that has done this what breeds of rabbit would you recommend? Thx,
I THINK that in most cases they are combed rather than sheared. My husband was at a fair once watching a spinning exhibition. This woman had a pile of wool on her lap and she was combing it and spinning. As my husband watched, the pile of wool moved and rotated a quarter turn. Gave him a bit of a start. The "pile of wool" was a rabbit and this woman was spinning the wool directly off the rabbit.

I THINK that in most cases they are combed rather than sheared. My husband was at a fair once watching a spinning exhibition. This woman had a pile of wool on her lap and she was combing it and spinning. As my husband watched, the pile of wool moved and rotated a quarter turn. Gave him a bit of a start. The "pile of wool" was a rabbit and this woman was spinning the wool directly off the rabbit.
THAT would be shocking. Do you think that hurts the rabbit? I saw someone do that in a video and said it won't hurt the rabbit but I wonder.

I meant satin angora, I didn't think adding the angora was necessary because of the context.
That breed I will hopefully get as well. Thank you for the info. I was wondering, by any chance do you own English Angora rabbits and/or French angora rabbits? I'm trying to figure out which one is a better choice. I know they both produce about the same amount of fur according to a source but I'm pretty sure they said the (larger?) of the two breeds had softer fur.

IMG_0966.JPG
Here is my mix.

Back
Top Bottom