IMG_0974.JPG

This is my Satin (Angora).

THAT would be shocking. Do you think that hurts the rabbit? I saw someone do that in a video and said it won't hurt the rabbit but I wonder.
How would it hurt it? All you are doing is removing loose hair. You are not pulling it out by the roots. However, Angoras do need their coats tended to. Not doing so does hurt the rabbit.

I have just learned about people using Angora rabbits for wool. I have no knowledge of spinning wool but I was wondering do you shear the fur off and then spin it? If I ever did this the rabbits involved would be pets so I wouldn't cull them to remove their fur. How many rabbits worth of fur would you need to make a throw blanket? Also for anyone that has done this what breeds of rabbit would you recommend? Thx,
So I have an adult male angora and I get about 12 oz of fur a year. I don't know the weight of it spun is but I feel like you'd need 3-5 rabbits and a year to produce enough for a 100% angora throw blanket however if you were to blend it with cotton or wool then fewer rabbits and less time would be needed

I have just learned about people using Angora rabbits for wool. I have no knowledge of spinning wool but I was wondering do you shear the fur off and then spin it? If I ever did this the rabbits involved would be pets so I wouldn't cull them to remove their fur. How many rabbits worth of fur would you need to make a throw blanket? Also for anyone that has done this what breeds of rabbit would you recommend? Thx,
Just so you know, people don't "cull" their rabbits to get their fur. They either comb it, or pluck it, or shear the rabbit. None of these things hurt the rabbit in any way.

Late response. Figured I'd still reply.
I have just learned about people using Angora rabbits for wool. I have no knowledge of spinning wool but I was wondering do you shear the fur off and then spin it?
some shear, some brush out shed clumps. Depends on what youre looking for breedwise and fiber length, not to mention time
If I ever did this the rabbits involved would be pets so I wouldn't cull them to remove their fur.
You dont cull them anyways unless you want the entire hide. Just like with sheep, goats, llamas, anything with wool
How many rabbits worth of fur would you need to make a throw blanket?
Many. Hundreds of yards, which means likely at least a pound of wool. I think most rabbits would give between 2-4 oz per cycle
Also for anyone that has done this what breeds of rabbit would you recommend? Thx,
Angora are going to be the most efficient, but need lots of Grooming. Lionheads aren't as efficient but also won't Matt if you miss a day or two of grooming

Back
Top Bottom