Pheasant Housing

ZooZoo

Songster
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
Northern New Jersey
I just purchased a pair of golden pheasants. I now have them in my 18'x8' heavily shrubed aviary. Since i am very paranoid about them getting taken by the racoons at night i want to lock them up in one of those very large german shepard dog carriers just for the night. Would this work? How hard would it be to herd them inside? Any suggestions would be appriecated.
Thanks

I'm not sure if they do, but if goldens roost they really wouldn't like to be kept on the ground. Being that pheasants are also skittish it would be hard to herd them into the kennel although after a while they would probably get used to it.

How high is your pen?If possible build a roost in the middle off the pen hanging from the roof so a coon can not climb up to them,but have it low enough from the roof that they can't reach down and grab them.Also keep it far enough from the sides so the little bleep bleeps can't reach them.
You will have a blast trying to herd them into a crate,they will tire you out for sure.
Pheasants do love to roost so a roost should be a must.
Do you have wire around the outside of your pen on the ground so nothing can dig under?I put wire 2 feet from the bottom board and out.I leave it right on top of the ground and let the grass grow threw it,you can't even tell it is there.I hold the outside edge down with tent stakes.
In N.H.,Tony.

BEst bet would be to just secure the pen and make sure the roost is as described. I use treated posts, snd creat like a cross (I guess its a T and plant it into the ground in the center of my pen. Really watch from getting it too high as owls are VERY good at coming through the top wire. They will sit there and hold the bird and eat it through the wire. (Yes, I learn from experience). I doubt like heck you'll want to be herding them around.

Back
Top Bottom