Pheasants and quail in the same flight pen?

wildmountainboy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
I raise a few Tennessee Red bobwhites and have been designing a new flight pen so I can house more birds. Tonight I came across a great deal on 6 ringnec Pheasants that are about 6months old. aprox the same age as my quail.

Is it safe to house them in the same flight pen? Or do I need to design one with separate quarters. Or completely separate them for health reasons. I don't know much about pheasants but have had it in the back of my mind to raise them in the future. This deal just happened to come my way, and I'm considering taking the leap now.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks- Andrew

I have put northern bobwhites in a large flight pen with ringneck pheasants with no problems. Not sure about the Tennessee bobs - always heard they were very aggressive. I had some chukars in a breeding pen with adult pheasants this spring and had to separate them because the chukars started beating up on the pheasants even though they were half the size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmountainboy

I raise a few Tennessee Red bobwhites and have been designing a new flight pen so I can house more birds. Tonight I came across a great deal on 6 ringnec Pheasants that are about 6months old. aprox the same age as my quail.

Is it safe to house them in the same flight pen? Or do I need to design one with separate quarters. Or completely separate them for health reasons. I don't know much about pheasants but have had it in the back of my mind to raise them in the future. This deal just happened to come my way, and I'm considering taking the leap now.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks- Andrew

A friend of mine kept quail with his pheasants and it did not go well. The pheasants eventually killed all but the last two, which he gave to me. However I have a red golden/lady Amherst hen that I let my quail out in the pen with her and her two babies chickens and she seems not to care about the quail at all. She is the top of the pecking order with chickens who she is housed with. I would see how they interact, before I would house them together which may be easier said than done with Ring necks, as far as catching them if things go wrong. I have coturnix quail. My friend had coturnix and bob white. The only other thing I would worry about is introducing them too soon with out a quarantine period. I would make sure they are healthy. Also my pheasant is tame, which I think may make a difference. My friend had several breeds of pheasants and the ring necks were always the most wild, however the quail were not in with the ring necks. So I do not know if this is at all helpful, but I would err to the side of safety in your case and not house them together.

Back
Top Bottom