Pheasants babies

hkisch2014

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Shafer, MN
I have some pheasants in an enclosed run and there are five hens and one male. Two of them have been sitting on a clutch for a while and I knew they were getting close. So when we checked on all of the other birds we also went to check them and came across two dead babies that looks like they were getting picked up and swung around: limbs were disjointed, belly was torn open. They were already fluffy so I don't know if Mom did it or if one of the other hens or the rooster that was in the pen with them did it. There was another baby out and fluffy and I got her out and put her in a box. We checked about an hour later and I have two more that have hatched. We will be going out periodically here now to check and see if more are hatching so we don't lose additional babies. I'm just wondering if that's normal if I need to remove the rooster or if one of the other hens would be doing that? Just so I know how to move forward with my other hen who is sitting on a clutch as well

Last edited:
I have some pheasants in an enclosed run and there are five hens and one male. Two of them have been sitting on a clutch for a while and I knew they were getting close. So when we checked on all of the other birds we also went to check them and came across two dead babies that looks like they were getting picked up and swung around: limbs were disjointed, belly was torn open. They were already fluffy so I don't know if Mom did it or if one of the other hens or the rooster that was in the pen with them did it. There was another baby out and fluffy and I got her out and put her in a box. We checked about an hour later and I have two more that have hatched. We will be going out periodically here now to check and see if more are hatching so we don't lose additional babies. I'm just wondering if that's normal if I need to remove the rooster or if one of the other hens would be doing that? Just so I know how to move forward with my other hen who is sitting on a clutch as well
I'd suggest you separate the broody hens and let them raise chicks alone. It's probably other birds attacking them seeing them as tiny bugs or food.

Something like this
Brooder-Box.jpg

Back
Top Bottom