Photos of some cross chicks

Gooter

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
central VA
Before I decided to hatch out some cross chicks I was looking around to see if anyone had any pictures posted on the web of either adults or chicks, and there really wasn't for the crosses I was wanting to hatch out. Well, I put some eggs under a broody and they hatched out this weekend. It's interesting to see what the chicks are colored like and I thought it might be of use to other people if they ever had similar crosses. I will post pictures later as they mature. I set 7 eggs under a first time broody; 4 Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with my sexlink roo (who has a splash gene in him...look at his tail) and 3 Welsummer crossed with a Favorelle roo.
One SLW egg broke the first week, another the second week (the hen that laid them is getting old and the shells were thin), and one SLW egg did not hatch.

The chicks were outside today for the first time and I got a good look at them. 3 of them have the extra toes of the Favorelle. The single SLW cross chick is in the front of the red chick in the photo and has the least amount of gray on its otherwise yellow fluff. The coloring of these chicks threw me and the only way I could know for sure which was my SLW chick is those extra toes. I crossed these because my SLWs are great layers and I wanted another real good set of layers to replace them as they age. The Favorelle cross - my main intent is for meat, but I will cross him with some white rocks later and get better meat birds. Hope these photos are of some use to some of ya'll. I really had no idea what to expect. They are all thriving tho and momma is a fantastic momma!

RstrCogburn.jpg

My Favorelle roo

Harley.jpg

My Sexlink/splash roo

Favx2.jpg

a Favorelle/Welsummer chick

Favx1.jpg

2 Favorelle/Welsummer chicks

SLWx.jpg

The one SLW/Sexlink chick

Very pretty, I really like baby chicks. Expesially crossbreds, all the wonderful colors and combination of colors that pop out.

Quote:
That's interesting to know. I rescued Harley from a lady who had him in with 50 hens who had eaten virtually every last feather off of him, and had no idea what he looked like with feathers until they grew in after a couple months. With no idea of his breeding, I've looked around and settled on sexlink. But from what I learned, it was my understanding that the red gene would be dominant with such a cross. What you say makes sense though when looking at his little chick. It clearly shows no red in it. The red definitely comes out in the Welsummer chicks though. Well, Harley's a great rooster and I only rescued him because he does such a fine job and will give size to the chicks. Wish that Favorelle wasn't dumb as a stump. At least he's docile.

Back
Top Bottom