Physical therapy for ducks?

bizzycard

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015
Does anyone know anything, or have any contacts that are super knowledgeable about ducks? My duck Charlotte "Lottie" is handicapped. She apparently had a prior injury causing severe nerve damage to her right leg/side. She has had a steroid shot, and is on daily meds (NSAID) for the last month, in hopes of improvement. Well it has helped! She's no longer limping and her walking has improved significantly! The only problem is she needs some type of PT to help regain strength because she has none, and falls over to rest every 10 steps or so. Does anyone know anything about Pet physical therapy?she also lays down so much because of weakness it's caused feather loss and her skin gets raw some. Anyway, I just wanted to put out some feelers!- she does swim and float just fine!! Thank y'all!

If she swims then give her lots of time in the water. Warm water is good for any soreness. Swimming will help her build muscle without putting any pressure on her legs or back.

Some nutri drench might give her a boost of energy to help in recovery. A little coconut oil on the skin with help in healing without messing with her natural oils. Plus it is safe if she ingests some after preening. Extra protein in the feed with help her as she starts regrowing feathers; I'd aim for around 20% protein.

I agree with the other responders, swimming is the best therapy for ducks, especially in warm water. You can also add Epsom salt to a supervised 15-20 minute warm water bath (don't let her drink it if possible) or use warm wet Epsom salt compresses.
I hope Lottie feels better soon!

Back
Top Bottom