Picked up two Guniea Hens today, They are quite nasty.

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
I am hoping that they are only scared at the moment, They are hissing at me and trying to peck me. Is this normal behavior ?

I have seen them do that protecting a nest... on YouTube. Give them some time. And what ever you do DO NOT let them free range for at least six weeks or more.

Guinea Fowl take some time as adults to learn where home is. Are you sure you have hens? Guinea Fowl Hens Chatter and squawk and they say Buck Wheat.... Guinea Fowl Cocks just chatter and squawk.

deb

Last edited:
They are scared, and defensive right now. Just give them some time to acclimate. Stay back for a while, out of their comfort bubble, talk to them lots and offer treats often (like millet, sweet feed maybe even some meal worms and greens too). They will eventually adjust and get used to you, your presence, the sound of your voice and their fear/aggression will subside. It'll be really helpful later on if you always say the same word/call (repetively, to the point of over kill) when you give them treats and feed and water them, starting now, so that they learn to associate that word/call with food and eventually come running when they hear you say it, and learn to think of you as the food god.

I doubt these Guineas will ever be like actual pets tho (and docile like chickens can be), with them already being adults the best you can hope for is for them to trust you enough to come close to you for treats, maybe eat from your hand and follow you around in your yard begging for treats once you get to the point of free ranging them, and come running when you say the food and treat word/call. Guineas do not like to be touched or picked up unless you've handled them that way since they hatched... and even then it's a rare thing. Has to be their idea, not yours, lol.

Anyway, yah just give them some time, and be as calm mellow as you can around them for a while so they relax. Guineas really are food motivated, so use that to your advantage with them.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
That's what I figured, I plan to leave them in the coop for a while I guess six weeks, and then start to let them out, I have alittle run under my coop which I let them into in a few days.

Guineas are really quite ugly looking, But for some reason I wanted them, I do enjoy watching them run around acting like tough guys, My uncle always had them mixed with chickens while growing up.

I am pretty sure they are Hens, I asked the guy for two hens, and he said they were.

Aww come onnnnn, lol. Their feathers and colors make up for their ugly little naked heads and necks! And so do their tick, pest and snake controlling abilities. After I'd been around them long enough and saw them day after day, they seemed normal and not so weird (it took me a couple years tho), lol.

I've seen much uglier looking breeds of poultry than Guineas... like Showgirl Slikies, Naked Necks/Turkens and most Turkeys for example lol
sickbyc.gif
That naked skin thing freaks me out, I'm same about the different breeds of hairless cats and dogs, ick!
gig.gif

I am thinking about getting guniea hens, would it be bad to just get two chicks and one be a Guinea hen? Or do I need more than one Guinea hen in a flock?

If you only have room for two - Guineas require 3-4 square feet per bird - then I would get two Guineas. I'm not sure about your question on eating rats, but I think they would at least scare them away. I watched my flock chase of a BIG skunk one afternoon. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom