*PICS* update: WOOHOO! They accepted our offer! Finally getting our farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to you!!! How exciting!
celebrate.gif

I know this might not be something you want to answer, but I would love to have 50-100 acres in that area of Missouri or Oklahoma. If you don't mind, about how much are you paying for that property?

Quote:
I know this might not be something you want to answer, but I would love to have 50-100 acres in that area of Missouri or Oklahoma. If you don't mind, about how much are you paying for that property?
well it's kind of a unique property with the berm house so I'm not sure it's a good measure, a little over $200k, but here's what prices are looking like in general:

land runs between about $1500/acre (undeveloped woods with no marketable timber) to $4000/acre (high quality pasture, fencing, cross fencing, water and facilities in place, near town). pasture in general goes 1800-3000/acre depending on the quality, size of the lot, and the fencing. We put in an offer on another place that was 80 acres and listed at $1360/acre, (no bldgs except a knock-down-able doublewide, no fencing)... he had a bidding war as he's well under market (we didn't win... just as well as the other place is better for us!)

add a house to the land and you're going between $0 and maybe $100,000 more depending on the house and the facilities (barns etc.)

add live water and the price might go up by 20-30%, but it does depend on the lot size (percentage increase seems to affect smaller properties more than large ones).

the property next to the one we're leasing is listed at $200,000 - 35 acres, a doublewide mfg, a singlewide mfg, 2 barns, cattle fenced, and 4 pens with shelters.

the property we're leasing, the landlord thinks he'll get 280,000 for it, the RE agent said $200,000-245,000. 3500 sqft house, barn, kennel, 40 acres total with 2 pastures fenced (12 & 8 acres) with autowaterers.

100 acre places for sale aren't common, but they're not unheard of either... just usually a bit further out. tons of places <20acres for sale.

prices do vary by county quite a bit - right now I'm in Lawrence county, W of springfield, but if you go near Columbia or Jefferson City, prices are 2 to 2.5 times higher. not a lot of places cheaper than Lawrence county, maybe 2 or 3 counties in MO. the new place is in Webster county, it's pretty low in the price range too.

MSU extension has a 2011 (2010?) average of land prices by county, split between woods / pasture / crop land and between high/med/low quality of each, let me know if you need a link for that and I'll look it up.

we picked this area because we love it, it's just reeeealy helpful that prices are low here and there's work for me too... that's what makes it possible.

Last edited:
Quote:
now that was a great reply! Thanks a million, it really helps!

you're welcome.
cool.png

I'm an engineer. I like data
smile.png
. my hubby warns people...don't ask her anything unless you want (imagine big radio announcer voice...) An ANSWER !
lol.png

Quote:

you're welcome.
cool.png

I'm an engineer. I like data
smile.png
. my hubby warns people...don't ask her anything unless you want (imagine big radio announcer voice...) An ANSWER !
lol.png

Hahaha. That was funny.

I really enjoyed your post. Wife and I recently purchased 43 acres up here in Canada. Its old pasture (>50 yrs) over run with tag alder, some conifers and poplar scattered thruought. No buildings and nothing but rotten fencing. It was 100k but I think it is still worth it. Retirement is just around the corner and I cant wait to get my rubber boots dirty :)

Looking forward to your settling in blog. Congratulations :)

ok, so the papers won't be ready until next week... so I'm not going out to move stuff on Sunday... so no new pictures this weekend.
tongue.gif

but then, I did find a few more photos that are clear enough to post, so get your popcorn, here you go!

the kitchen - lots of windows

the fireplace in the livingroom has an insert

and yes, that's t-bar hanging ceiling just like in your office buildings (ok, that's got to go!)

the front entryway has it's own fireplace... not sure why, but it does!

more soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom