Pictures of Coop Construction. The first real build is DONE!

lol.png
That first pic is too much.

Great job! Love the detail photos. Will be referring to some of those during my coop build.

Did you make your own windows? I will be doing that. If you have any tips, I'd appreciate them!

Nice Job! You planning to raised 10 chickens in that new coop. That is a quiet lots of chickens to start?? We are thinking about raised chickens someday! How many chicken should we start to try to raise chicken? Thanks!

Quote:
I did make my own windows. Cut 2x4's into sections VERY carefully and used things called "gazing points" to hold the glass in. Being the "youngin" I am apparently, I did not know what glazing points were until doing this project!

Biggest tip for the glass frame part is to make sure that the wood is cut dead even and it is assembled square. I made the frame so that the glass only had 1/8th of an inch of play and it barely fit. However, too much space and the glazing points would be too short to hold the glass in. To make sure the first row of glazing points were in straight, I put a 1/4inch thick piece of wood in the frame as a guide, before putting in the glass.

One more thing about the window, I used silicone caulk to seal the glass in. Did one window with glaziers putty stuff, a "dap33" product if I recall, and am not a fan of it as it takes forever to cure... and is still not cured.

Quote:
I'll probably put up to a dozen in there, but probably less. Keeping 8 in there for now.

I started with 12 chicks about 15 years ago when I was in middle school. Until today they lived in portable tractor style housing. I still have 3 other smaller tractors/coops, but only the brooder coop is in use other than this large one.

You should start out with as many you feel comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom